Dimileth Week Day 1) Childhood AU

Background: Takes place 4 years before the events of the games. This is a slight AU/Headcannon about what if Byleth and Jeralt were there at the tragedy of Duscur to help take out those involved. This took me nearly a whole day to write. Hopefully the next ones won't be as long. 

————————————————————————-——————-

Byleth was sleeping, like always. Whenever she isn't working with her father being a mercenary or traveling around, Byleth would either be reading, training, or sleeping. Jeralt didn't even know where she got her sleepy side from since never him or Sitiri, Byleth's late mother, were always tired like that. Or it could be with teenage hormones.

The 2 traveling mercenaries where staying in the kingdom after their previous job with taking down some assassins that planned to take down the royal family. The bandits where no problem to take out. Like they would even be a threat if they couldn't even get pass 2 mercenaries.

After their mission, the 2 mercenaries even met the royal family as well. The young prince and Byleth hit it off as friends, though the prince did most of the talking. Jeralt could've sworn that Byleth was expressing some emotion during the interaction, yet she was back to emotionless when they returned to where they were staying.

"Can we come back one day to meet up with that prince?" Byleth asked while on their way back. Despite being 16, she didn't have any friends. It was most likely due to the fact they were always traveling, but Byleth never really made friends with the other young mercenaries her age.

"Oh, you mean Dimitri? You two seemed like you were having fun." Jeralt said. "It depends. We're mercenaries remember. We go where the wind takes us." Byleth sighed at her father's comment. The prince was the first real person she ever connected with other than her father and part of her wanted to stay. The two walked in silence until they reached to their destination.

They were staying in an inn in a small town outside Kleiman territory, which was awfully close to the Duscur region. Jeralt was relaxing before their journey to wherever they're needed next when a frantic knock came suddenly at their door. Jeralt immediately went for the door to see who it was. Byleth didn't even stir from her sleep. That kid can sleep through anything.

"Jeralt, sir, there's an emergency." The unexpected visitor said.

"What happened? Where is it?" Jeralt asked.

"In Duscur, sir. There's reports that the royal family has been attacked!"

Jeralt gasped. This is not good. He ran over to his sleeping daughter. "Kid, get up, something's happening and we need to leave. Grab your sword and come on." Jeralt said loudly to his daughter. It wasn't enough to wake her. Jeralt shook Byleth. She still didn't wake up. "If you don't wake up, I'll be sure to not take any more jobs in the kingdom so you won't have another chance at seeing the prince." Jeralt said.

Byleth bolted up from her sleep, threw the blanket off her, grabbed her sword, and was out the door in seconds. "Let's move." She said emotionlessly.

"That's some kid you have there Jeralt." The mercenary commented. Jeralt only nodded as he headed out.

The flames were everywhere. There was no escape. No escape from the torment and suffering. Almost all hope was lost. The king was dead. He was beheaded in front of his son's eyes. Prince Dimitri was trying to find a way out. Only a few words rung in his head. "Avenge us. Those who killed us, destroy them. Kill them all!" Those were his father's dying words. Dimitri still feels like his father's ghost is following him, scolding his every move.