Smile For The Camera

The girls were busy getting ready for their upcoming interview, their stop at the pancake house having been cut short when their manager called and told them it had been moved forward. They hurriedly scoffed down the remainder of their breakfast and returned to their tour bus for the 30 minute drive. When they finally arrived, they flew through make up and wardrobe and were seated in front of one of the many interviewers they were expected to see this week. Lauren was admittedly distracted and slightly paranoid, her and Camila were sat with Normani in between them but she believed it wouldn't be enough to dissuade the girl from her antics. Besides if anyone was going to do something it should be her, Lauren owed her for the trick with the popcorn the night before. The image swimming around in her head, the closenss of the Cuban girl, from shoulder to shoulder to nose to nose... She didn't notice Ally trying to get her attention.

'Lauren!' Dinah called, as the shorter girl was obviously struggling. 

'Sorry what? I was off in my own little world there' she said flushing red and focussing immediately on the interviewer then turned to Ally as she repeated the question.

'What is your favourite thing about going on tour?' she reiterated. 

'Oh, erm, the fans definitely. Going to all these new places and meeting new people, the fact that they're there solely to see you is an incredible feeling that you never get used to. And then we see people who have come to other shows it's nice to catch up and find out what they've been doing.' Both Camila and Lauren turned to face Normani as she spoke, their eyes meeting and resting evidently as neither turned away.

'Yeah no i definitely have to agree with Lauren, performing and singing on stage is all part of it but without the fans who are crazy dedicated it wouldn't have the same feeling or atmosphere. Singing you can do anytime, but to create the enjoyment you feel when performing and having that have the same effect on thousands of other people is amazing.'

'And here i was about to say the buffet or catering' Camila joked, Lauren broke out laughing. Throwing her head back and running her hand through her hair, she sat forward again looking down the row of girls but always coming back for her eyes to fall perfectly on Camila's. The interviewer laughed as did the other girls but her facial expression became slightly serious as she reached the next question.

'Now guys, when i asked for some questions from your fans i got thousands of responses, and almost 95% of those questions were about your last show, any ideas what that's about?' she asked, hinting very heavily as she she looked toward Camila.  

The girls nervously laughed as Camila turned to face Lauren, a longing question rippling through the look in her eyes. 'It was a good show, obviously' she stated sarcastically 'like, why wouldn't you talk about it?' Lauren couldn't be sure but as she analysed the girls face it was apparent she was somewhat scared, in front of the cameras she could play it off and be nonchalant about everything to hide her true feelings whatever the subject, but right now she seemed less confident in her actions.

'I agree with you, it was a good show. I have a clip right here that a fan sent me. She commented 'Holy crap, Christmas has come early this year, I'm so overwhelmed i don't really know how to react.'

She pressed a button on a remote and the girls turned to face a screen, they all sat uncomfortably as they recognized the scene. Camila sat back on her hands, her right hand slid slightly behind Normani's back, and crossed her legs, looking over at the screen through the corner of her eye. Lauren lent back and looked at Camila briefly, and placed a comforting hand on top of the Cuban girls before returning her attention back to the footage. 

'Wait, wait i'm not done, Specifically, i mean it changes so, sometimes its her eyes, or her hair but... oh my god... her ASS'  The video stopped. Camila looked down at her hand slightly confused at the kind gesture obviously not noticing the change in her behaviour, she hadn't gone soft, just seeing it again and hearing other people's reactions made her heart skip a beat. She knew it would come around eventually just not this soon. She also hoped it wouldn't have any effect on her little game, after all she just started playing and she was also a few steps closer to finding out whether the older girl feels the same way. It couldn't be over just yet so she couldn't give anything away whilst still being sneaky with her little shenanigans. She slid her hand out from under Lauren's and placed hers on top, drawing small circles on the back of the green eyed girls hand. 

'So, i mean, Camila, that was interesting, have any comments on that' The Interviewer asked. 

'Well, what can i say about that' she stalled, slapping her knee hard. 'I think it was just a very adrenaline hyped, extravagant compliment. I mean it's true, to the degree where i see Lauren almost everyday and i mean... look at this girl?' She said, emphasizing her last words in a strong Spanish accent. If Lauren wasn't red enough, she was almost a tomato now, she smiled politely at the interviewer who looked at her questioningly. 

'Okay that's fair enough, we'll move on then. Dinah we already know you're a big fan of Beyonce, some of your fans have said you could practically be her daughter how do you feel about that...'

The interview slowly came to a close and the girls waved goodbye, slowly making their way out and into one of the dressing rooms to wait until they could leave. 

'So that was sufficiently awkward' Camila jested. Dinah nudged her on the arm. 

'You seriously make it hard for yourself don't you Chancho' to which the Cuban girl shrugged, her eyes glossing over Lauren who had retreated to the safety of her phone. 

If i wasn't confused before... that girl, she seemed so affected by it at first, i guess it can be slightly awkward having your outburst played back to you in front of A) the people who were there, and B) a complete stranger who's just looking for a story. And her explanation, we give eachother compliments all the time but what she said but i can't help bit feel there was something else she wanted to say? I mean on the grounds that it meant something... again i have no idea. But when i saw her like that, my heart just sank, i wanted her to know that it was okay. Then she placed her hand on top of mine... and my skin felt like it was on fire. 

Lauren sat staring at her phone, not really doing much of anything, she could feel the younger girl's eyes on her. Tomorrow probably won't be any different, or the day after or the day after that. She couldn't wait for their next show, but was more excited for their final break until the tour. Usually the girls would just go their seperate ways but that couldn't happen if Lauren wanted to get the answer to her question. So she suggested just this once that they meet up whenever possible, and no one was against the idea thankfully. Plus her and Camila didn't live that far from one another, the thought of them hanging out, and the things they could do shot through her excitedly as she jolted upwards. Her bandmates turned to look at her.

'You okay Lo' Ally asked. Lauren nodded, trying to extinguish the smile that had crept onto her lips. She noted Camila's look, and the grin only grew having the opposite desired effect. Camila swept past her into another room and Lauren followed.

'So you okay, i mean that can't have been fun' she asked sympathetically.

'It was bound to come up sooner or later, Camren's on a lot of people's minds recently' Camila dared. 

She could ask, she could have done it right then and there, that was her moment, the opening she had been waiting for. But the words didn't come out, only a yearning gaze. She wanted to ask, she wanted to know more than anything but an overwhelming feeling of doubt seemed to mute her. As much as the question taunted her she was actually afraid of the answer. Either of the truth or of rejection, she didn't know which. But she needed more time. Camila could see the thought rolling around in the dark haired girls eyes, but knew she wouldn't ask. Camila didn't even know if she could of told her, unknowingly sharing the feeling of doubt in her gut. Suddenly a head popped round the corner.

'Hey guys, it's time to go...' Normani yelled as she quickly dissapeared behind the door again. The two girls followed suit and piled back onto the bus to head to their hotel. Both girls had to wait in anticipation, neither one sure of themselves, and yet never more determined.