Chapter 13

The following morning brought an unexpected bonus. After a frenzied bidding war, a set of Aunt Ellie's sad-faced china dogs sold for four figures and the buyer paid right away. I stared at the balance for ages and even refreshed the page in case I was dreaming.

"Maddie, you'll never guess what just happened."

"What?"

"Someone bought those hideous dogs from the dresser, and I've finally got a chunk of money."

"Seriously? Did they have impaired vision?"

"I think they must have." After all, I'd have felt guilty offloading them on the charity shop.

"But that's it? For a moment, I thought you were going to tell me you'd met an eligible country gent with a Land Rover and room for a pony."

"Uh, that too. Well, I don't know if either of them has got room for a pony, and Warren drives a Ford Galaxy."

"Warren? The taxi driver? He asked you out?"

"Last night."

"Ooh, where's he taking you?"

"Nowhere. I said no to dinner."

"What? Why?"

"Uh, it was a bit awkward. I'd already agreed to go out with Tate, and I'm not sure Warren's my type. I mean, he's nothing like Edward."

"Wait a second. Back up. Tate? Who's Tate?"

"I met him in the pub last night, and he asked me out for lunch. Although it's not a date. I made that very clear."

"So what's this Tate got that Warren hasn't?"

How did I explain his charm and his twinkling eyes? I tried to think of the right words, but what came out was, "He was wearing Ralph Lauren."

Ouch. How shallow did I sound? I cringed inside and pictured Maddie as she smacked her palm off her head. The noise certainly echoed down the phone line.

"Olivia Porter, you've got to look beneath the superficial. The last thing you want is another Edward."

"I know. Really, I do. But Tate stepped in like a white knight when another man was bothering me, and the fact that he knows how to dress is just a bonus."

Maddie sighed, long and loud. "I suppose it's about time you met a nice guy. Tell me you didn't sell your Agent Provocateur lingerie?"

"Of course not! Who would want to buy used underwear? I certainly wouldn't, even if it was washed."

"Olivia, you're so sweet. Don't you have any idea how many men get off on that? And they don't want it washed."

"Are you serious? That's disgusting!"

"They pay top dollar, babe."

"I don't care if they pay in gold bullion. I'm not selling my dirty undies."

What would they do? Sniff them?

"At least that means you've still got something saucy to wear for Tate. Or even Warren. I still think you should consider him."

"Don't you ever give up?"

"Not often."

"It's only lunch with Tate. I won't be removing any of my clothes."

"What about his?"

"I'm not that sort of girl!"

"One word: Taurus."

I put my head in my hands. "Can we just not talk about that?"

She took pity on me. "Okay, okay. What are you going to wear? Do you want to borrow something of mine? Or shall we go shopping?"