Chapter 6

A quick bus ride took us to our second destination—one of the house shares. "Modern accommodation within easy walking distance of public transport and local shops," according to the blurb. Thank goodness there were no fast-food outlets within sniffing distance, and the outside of the property looked just as it did in the advert, if not a little close to a road junction.

At Maddie's knock, a guy with dreadlocks opened the door and greeted us with a toothy grin. Light glinted off his gold incisor.

"You here about the room?"

"Yes, we are," I said.

He swung the door open wider to allow us in. "I'll show you around. Do you like music?"

"I enjoy Beethoven. And nothing beats Mozart being played by a full orchestra."

His eyebrow ring tilted to the side as he frowned. "How about rock?"

We stopped short in the lounge. Or what had once been a lounge, but now seemed to be...a recording studio?

"Um, I've never been a big fan of rock, no."

Not that I'd really listened to that type of music. Mother never allowed it, and Edward had looked at me like I was crazy when I played a Coldplay CD. Rock, especially the heavy stuff? Way, way outside of his comfort zone.

Dreadlock Guy waved at the array of speakers. "Don't worry. We rarely play all night. Usually, we quit at two or three in the morning. The last guy who rented the room reckoned he could barely hear us with his earplugs in."

Maddie caught my eye and gave her head a shake. Yep, I was with her on that one.

"Uh, I've got a problem with my ear canals. I can't wear earplugs."

"Aw, bummer."

"Yes, isn't it? Well, thanks for your time."

I smiled and waved as we backed out, and the guy seemed genuinely disappointed. Hard Rock House was better than Chicken Castle, but only marginally.

"I couldn't cope with that noise," I said to Maddie. "Not when I work from home."

"I was more concerned about the stink of marijuana."

That strange, smoky smell? "I just assumed someone had burned dinner."

Maddie giggled. "You honestly didn't realise?"

"No! I've never touched drugs."

Truly, this was impossible. Two places left to see, and I didn't hold out much hope for either one after the morning.

Third on our list was the house. We stopped off at the agent's on the way there to pick up the key, and a man with coffee stains on his tie put his hand over the phone receiver and handed us a map scrawled on the back of a window cleaner's flyer.

"Would you mind showing yourselves around? I'm rushed off my feet today. Phone hasn't stopped ringing."

I had my suspicions about that, unless he called all his customers "Mum," but it suited us fine. At least we wouldn't be getting the hard sell from him.

The SatNav app on Maddie's phone led us to a quiet backstreet. Number fifteen turned out to be a narrow terrace with a bright blue front door and polished letterbox.

"This is really nice," I said to Maddie after we'd taken a quick walk around.

"Isn't it? Look, it's even got a built-in microwave."

Although the rooms were smaller than those in my flat, the tiny lounge and fitted kitchen were pristine, and the double bedroom and well-appointed bathroom would suit me perfectly.