Chapter 44

Maddie and Mickey were waiting on a swanky leather sofa in the lobby of Nye's apartment building when I climbed out of the cab.

"Thought we'd got the wrong building for a minute," she said. "You really live here?"

"I can't quite believe it either."

She pulled me into a hug. "I was so worried about you earlier. We all were. And then Warren insisted on going to look for you at Tate's while I checked Lilac Cottage and Mickey waited at the café, and I knew something bad had happened."

"We're okay, that's all that matters."

"Apart from Tate. He got everything he deserved."

He did, although I couldn't help wishing I'd kicked him in the ribs for good measure. "Can we just not talk about it?"

"Of course. What was I thinking? Why don't we go upstairs and I'll cook you a nice dinner?"

"I feel quite bad enough as it is," I said, before clapping my hand over my mouth when I realised what had come out it.

Thankfully, Maddie saw the funny side. "I suppose trying to cook without my recipe book isn't the best idea. Shall I order a pizza?"

Janelle ran out of the lift just as the delivery guy left half an hour later, and she was clutching a bottle of champagne in one hand and a bag from Hotel Chocolat in the other.

"So you can celebrate when Nye comes back," she said, holding them out to me. "I was going to get party poppers as well, but I guessed you'd had enough bangs for one week."

Yes, I had, at least of the noisy variety.

"Do you want to join us for pizza? We've got plenty."

Mickey wanted spicy hot, I'd gone for vegetable, and Maddie had retained her crown as the queen of bad taste and chosen a Hawaiian. Pineapple on pizza made me shudder.

"Why not? Saves making dinner."

Dinner turned into drinks, and I woke up next to Maddie in the early hours, both of us squashed onto one of Nye's luxurious armchairs. Different location, but just like the old days. I tucked blankets over her before heading for the bedroom, looking forward to sharing it with Nye tomorrow.

 I tucked blankets over her before heading for the bedroom, looking forward to sharing it with Nye tomorrow

One advantage to having Janelle with us was her connection to the Blackwood control room. She checked her phone every few minutes, and as I cooked us all breakfast the next morning, she let out a whoop.

"Fenton Palmer's confessed all."

With a good night's sleep under my belt, curiosity got the better of me.

"What did he say?"

"Tate came back from uni for a few days and spent most of the time arguing with his mother. Helena didn't grow up rich, and she hated the sense of entitlement Tate had developed. Fenton claimed to love his wife, but he'd secretly been considering a divorce according to the files we absolutely didn't find on his solicitor's computer."