Chapter 22

The sense of security Nye's presence had given me faded away with the last rumbles of his bike engine, leaving me alone with my worries. And that got me thinking about Tate's words from last night: How well did I really know Nye?

The answer was, not at all. Time to call Sophie.

She answered on the first ring, which was only to be expected from a girl who went into withdrawal if she got more than three feet from her mobile.

"Ooh, Liv, how have things been? Tell me Nye came?"

"He came, but his arrival gave me a bit of a surprise."

"Oh, dang it, I was going to text you, wasn't I? But I went out to a fashion show, and then there was an after-party, and oh my gosh, there was this model, and... Hang on—where were we?"

"You forgot to tell me Nye was coming."

"Oops. Sorry about that. Isn't he dreamy, though? I went to a pool party he was at the year before last, and wow, he must spend hours in the gym. He has an eight-pack for sure. And he most definitely does not need to stuff socks down there, if you know what I mean."

Great. Now that I had that picture in my mind, I'd never get it out. "Too much information, Sophie."

"Gosh, sorry, I keep forgetting you've got more important things going on. Have there been any more problems?"

"Only some paint thrown at my door. And a dozen eggs."

"Well, don't worry. Nye will sort everything out, I'm sure of it."

"That was what I wanted to ask about. I don't know anything about him, and he seems awfully young to have had much experience at this kind of thing."

"He's a year older than my brother, which makes him...uh, twenty-seven. They met at some martial arts class when they were teenagers. Taekwondo I think it was. Nye's a black belt, did you know that? Oh, no, I guess not. What was it you were asking about?"

"His experience as an investigator?"

"Well, he's been doing it since he turned eighteen. I remember him spending a week on my brother's bedroom floor after he first got the job because he had a massive argument with his father when he decided not to go to uni."

"But he seems so clever."

"Exactly. Anyway, Nye moved out of home and went it alone."

At least he'd been doing the job for a few years. That gave me some comfort. "Do you know any more about his work?"

"Not really, but he must be good at it, because I bet that sexy motorbike he rides cost a fortune. I heard him telling my brother he had the pipes customised, whatever that means. Did you see it? Or did he come in his car?"

Car? Nye had a car? Nye had a car, and he'd left it at home and made me get on that...that death trap?

Oh, he'd be getting a piece of my mind tomorrow, that was for sure.

"He came on his bike."

"Isn't it awesome? I've been badgering him to take me for a ride for ages, but he keeps resisting. One day I'll get that tight ass between my thighs. One day... And I wouldn't mind helping him out of his leathers afterwards, either."

My nether regions heated up at the mere thought of that, but I forced my mind back to the task at hand.

"You're married, Sophie."

"But I still have eyes."

"Do you know anything else about Nye?"

"He's gorgeous, he's not hurting for money, and he has a steady job. What more do you need?"