"Where are we going?"

"Does it matter?" He glanced back.

i looked back down at my shoes, feeling too tired to respond.

After a bit more walking we turned down to the hallway that led to the vending machine.

"Oh I didn't bring my money-!"

he looked back at me again, giving me a steely glare.

my eyes widened in confusion and i continued to let him led me to the vending machine.

He stood in front of it looking at the options and i sat down, waiting for him to get his food.

I heard him putting in some coins and then a few things fall as i watched the birds in the courtyard pick at the dirt.

suddenly something cold touched the back of my neck and i shot up from my slouched position. i swung my head back to see Tsukishima holding out a coffee and a bag of chips to me with a playful smirk on his face.

i smiled gratefully and sat the food and drink in front of me.

Tsukishima sat beside me, his long legs out in front of him and his hands behind him to keep balance.

"Are those crows or ravens?" I said, breaking the silence, "I can never tell the difference."

He followed my gaze to the flock birds, "Those are crows."

"How did you know that?" i asked, looking at him in awe.

"Well do you see how the end of their tails is fan shaped?" i pointed at a closer crow.

"yeah." i nodded.

"Raven's have tails that are more wedge shaped. plus crows are smaller than ravens." he explained, still watching the birds.

"You're weird." i smiled and took a sip from my coffee.

"i just paid attention in science class. something i'm sure you're incapable of doing." he scoffed.

i looked up at him, less effected by his words than usual. people seemed different recently, it was nice to have something familiar.

"why are you so mean to me?" i asked him once again and he just looked at me for a second. i expected him to roll his eyes or mention something about buying me stuff from the vending machine yet he didn't.

"...sorry." he looked back at the birds.

i furrowed my eyebrows and pulled my head back in confusion. this was not normal, this was unfamiliar, i didn't want this, not right now.

the door swung open to reveal a few girls giggling and talking amongst themselves. this must be my cue.

"I'm pretty sure crows symbolize something bad so i'm gonna go back to class before i get cursed or something..." i said standing up.

he gave me a wary look and took a sip of his own drink while he turned back to watch the crows.

i walked back to my room slowly, thinking about how weird tsukishima had been.

when i finally got back Tanaka was asleep at his desk at Watabe and Aoki were in the front of the class talking to a group of students. It actually looked more like Watabe was talking to the group and Aoki was watching her.

i slid into the seat quietly and started my bookwork that was still open on the desk.

after a few minutes Tanaka stirred and sat up, his pencil sticking to his face.

i let out a laugh and pointed at it. he flicked it off and let out a huff, upset that i laughed at him.

"you can't laugh at a guy like that. you're bruising my ego." he rubbed over the red part of his cheek where the pencil had been hanging from seconds ago.

"I think your ego can afford to take a few hits." i rolled my eyes and got back to my work.

His eyes flew open and he got out his schoolwork as well, "Did you let me sleep through class?!" he said, freaking out.

"What? no. I'm just getting ahead on my homework."

he let out a long sigh, "thank god. my grades are falling, i can't handle much worse..."

i sat down my pencil and frowned, "You know if you need help you can ask me."

he looked over, slightly shocked from my tone and expression, "No i just... I never really feel like doing anything after i get home. sometimes i don't even feel like showering." he said looking down at his book, "Wait i still do shower after practice!" he exclaimed with a red face, "i just feel worn out sometimes..."

"i get what you mean..." i watched his face as he stared off.

"I'll send you the homework from now on."

his head flew up and he looked at me with wide eyes, "you don't have to do that!"

"That's what friends are for though." i smiled and took a picture of the page i had just completed, "what's your phone number?"

his panic expression softened, "you're the best Sakai." he took my phone and typed in his number, "thank you." he said, handing back my phone.

"anytime Tanaka."

"Ryu." he said.

my eyes widened and i looked up at him. he had a dumb smile on his face that made me feel like i had butterflies in my stomach.

"then... anytime, Ryu."

10/23/20
wc: 1484
unedited