4

The end of the day came and I was bubbling with anticipation. I hadn't told Tanaka or Nishinoya about becoming a manager so I decided to just make it a surprise.

I walked to the teachers room and opened the door, slowly looking over all of the teachers. I had a feint memory of what he looked like but i hadn't seen him in the room yet.

Bingo!

I walked to the desk of the short teacher and introduced myself.

"Hello, I'm Sakai Hoshiko, I'm interested in becoming a manager for the boys Volleyball team." I said confidently.

Mr. Takeda was clearly a bit taken back at first but then he nodded and pulled out a paper after a second of searching, "You just need to fill this out. Have you already talked with our manager, Kiyoko?" he asked, handing me a pen.

I nodded and started signing and reading the paper, when i finished i handed it back to him.

"You'll need to get this signed by a guardian too." he mentioned.

"Oh, sorry. My dad will be coming to practice soon so he should be able to sign it then." I smiled and walked out.

I pulled out my phone and texted my dad "just joined a club, won't be home until late <3"

he quickly texted back a few question marks but i left him on read.

I could hardly hold my excitement in. I knew I wasn't going to be able to play during practice but even just watching the game would make me feel full.

I got to the club door where Kiyoko said we would be changing and knocked on the door, "It's Sakai!" i called out.

"Come in." I heard her voice say.

I walked in and sat my stuff down. Kiyoko who was putting on her track jacket stopped and picked up a pair for me, "I always have an extra pair but you should get one or two of your own as well."

"Right. Thank you." I smiled and she returned it before pulling on her jacket and zipping it up most of the way.

After I finished changing Kiyoko walked me to the gym where everyone already was ready and warming up.

"Can i have your attention everyone?" I heard all of the noise stop, "This is our new manager that will be helping us out." She pulled me into view of everyone.

"YOU?!" I heard three people exclaim at once, one being much more shocked and aggressive than the others.

I grinned and bowed, "Hello, my name is Sakai Hoshiko! Please treat me well."

Nishinoya had bounced his way over with Tanaka close behind him, the rest of the guys slowly inching their ways over.

"When did you decide to become a manager?" Nishinoya questioned.

"I was wondering the same thing." My dad, who had snuck up on me, growled out.

My eyes widened, "Anyway, I think i should learn all of your names now!"

One of the members with short brown hair must have sensed my discomfort because he clapped his hands together to get everyone's attention, "Right. Let's go oldest to youngest!"

Each of the players introduced themselves and i made sure to make a mental note, though i'm sure i'll still forget their names. I remember bumping into Asahi when i was going to the vending machine with Aoki once.

My dad had seemed to cool down by the time everyone was done and had gotten back to practice but still not calm.

"So this is the club you decided to join, huh?" He asked rather passive aggressively.

I shrugged, "If i couldn't play i at least wanted to watch other people."

"Did you even ask if you could still try out for the girls team?" He whisper yelled.

"That's embarrassing!" I whisper yelled back.

Kiyoko looked between us and walked to the ball cart across the gym.

"I don't understand why you didn't even say anything to me!"

"Because you were acting weird! plus it's my life i should be allowed to do what i want without asking you."

"What if you're aunt needed you at the store?"

"She did just fine without me there before."

"Why couldn't you have just joined the girls team as a manager?"

"Because i wanted to see you more often!" i threw my hands up in distress and walked over to the other ball cart to toss for the boys. They couldn't hear us but i'm sure they could tell we had an argument by the way my dad was pouting in the corner.

When i reached the cart i heard the blond guy who i couldn't remember the name of muttering something about the "happy family" i turned around and glared at him before tossing a ball to one of the setters.

At the end of practice i had cooled down completely and even made small talk with a few of the players. I learned that yesterday one of the third years had just come back after quitting.

I was putting away the ball carts when Nishinoya ran up to me, "Did you want to practice tonight? Daichi and Asahi said they would also join in." he grinned.

I grinned back, "Sure! let me tell my dad real quick."

I walked out of the storage room and saw my dad trying to act inconspicuous as he stood right outside the doors.

He feigned surprise when he saw me, "Hey kiddo..."

"Hi dad." I raised an eyebrow.

"so i heard you're gonna stay longer to help them practice some more..." he looked around a little.

i nodded, "is that okay...?"

He looked in my eyes and i could see his face soften, "Listen i'm sorry about earlier. I still wish you had told me but I can understand a little why you didn't, especially if you were expecting that kind of reaction from me..."

i gave him a hug, "You're right. I should have told you, regardless of what i thought you were going to say..."

He wrapped his arms around me and nearly suffocated me with his squeeze, "I'm glad to be seeing you more often kiddo." He let go and faced the rest of the gyn that still had most of the guys in it, "IF I SEE ANY OF YOU MEAT HEADS FLIRTING WITH MY DAUGHTER-" he glared at Tanaka and Nishinoya, "YOU'LL NEVER-" i pushed him to get him to stop and hit his shoulder.

"Go home already!" i scowled.

He let out a soft laugh, "I'll see you when you get home kiddo." he gave me a kiss on the forehead and glared at everyone in the gym that was still looking.

My ears that had already been red grew twice as red and i tried to cool myself down.

Tanaka walked over, "Geez, he's a bit uptight."

I smacked his arm, "That's my dad you're talking about! Now let's get to practice."

Tanaka rubbed his arm and followed me onto the gym floor.

09/06/20
Wc: 1172
unedited