Chapter 55

"Wow." Cassady leaned back on the couch and looked up at the ceiling. I had just told her about my initiation into the Death Eaters, my journey to Grizedale Forest, my trip to the Ministry, and now, my assignment at Hogwarts. I also told her about falling in love with Draco, and about Dad's final gifts to me. I told her everything without even taking a breath. It all just came tumbling out. I should have eased her into it so she didn't get overwhelmed, but the words came out before I could stop them.

I let the silence hang in the air for a little bit as I sat there and closed my eyes. I could have easily fallen asleep on that couch if I wasn't careful. I could tell that my time at Hogwarts this year was going to be exhausting.

"It's amazing that you're still alive," Cassady said finally. I couldn't help but laugh.

"I would argue with you, but yeah," I said. "How's Mum?"

"Fine. Worried about you, though. She didn't sleep for days after you first left."

"I should have written, but it was risky. I didn't want to push it," I said, my voice coming out more defensively than I intended.

"I know," Cassady said. "I wasn't accusing you of anything, I promise."

"I know you weren't," I said, closing my eyes again. "I'm just on edge because of the meeting Draco and I had with Snape. I was expecting him to give us a plan for how we're going to help, but he didn't. He's too preoccupied watching over other people, so we're just expected to figure it out on our own."

"So Draco's really a part of this?" she asked quietly. I nodded.

"I'm sure it's a shock, but yes. He's just as much a spy as I am." I turned to look at her. "I'm in love with him, Cassady, and he's in love with me. I know it's a lot to process..."

"Not really," she said quickly. "It's like I told you that day in the hospital wing, I knew he had feelings for you. He may have been the one to push me in that cabinet..." her voice wandered off as she thought about it. "But even when I was being held captive, I knew his heart wasn't in it. I knew he didn't want to be there."

"That's very big of you to say that," I said.

"Well I can't say I forgive him, but let's just say, I'm not surprised he's joined our side."

I leaned over to give her a hug. I could tell she was hiding her anger for my sake, since I was so stressed out. And I was grateful. I couldn't take anyone else chastising me, not after the morning I'd had.

"And as for the supposed Crown of Sight, it hasn't done anything?" she asked. "It sounds familiar to me, too. I think I remember it from when Mum and Dad used to read the story at bedtime."

"Not a thing," I replied. "I'm still not even convinced it's real. If I'm supposed to be the heir, then the crown should work. Maybe... Maybe it is just a story, maybe Dad just wanted me to feel special." I lowered my head sadly as I thought about it. I had gotten such a surge of confidence when the page revealed itself to me. I was sure that everyone was wrong about me when they cast me aside. But now I wasn't so sure. Cassady sensed this doubt immediately.

"You and I both know that Dad would not have lied to you. This is special, Audrey. I can tell."

I squeezed her hand and smiled. "Thanks, Cass. I know I keep saying it, but I missed you so much."

She smiled back. "There's... there's something I wanted to tell you."

"Oh?"

She looked down bashfully. "I, erm, I met a boy when school started. A Gryffindor. Sixth-year, like me. His name is Diego Cortez. His dad is Costa Rican and his mum is Scottish. Both muggles. He grew up in Edinburgh, and he has a thick Scottish accent. But he really is the most handsome boy I've ever seen." She blushed, and I realized this must have been the same boy sitting next to her in the Great Hall the night I arrived.