Chapter 10

"I can't take it anymore. I just can't take it. Something's wrong with it. I just can't take it..." a voice whispered in the shadows.

I turned to look at Draco, horrified. He desperately ushered for me to come back. I crept back to him as silently as I could, trying not to make a sound. We knelt down by the cabinet, peering around to see who came in. The person was blocked by the columns of forgotten objects, but they seemed to be frantic. They whispered hysterically, over and over.

"I have to get rid of it. I have to get rid of it!"

Draco and I looked at each other, unsure of what to do. How were we going to explain us being in here together? Draco leaned in close to me.

"Okay Audrey, here's the plan. You sneak out there along the edge. Use a silencing charm to open the door with no noise. I'll stay here and hide."

"Why wouldn't you come?" I whispered back. "We both have to get out of here!"

"No!" Draco cried. "If we leave together, then what? We'll have to explain why we've been in here!"

"But isn't it worth the risk?" I hissed. "We don't know who this person is or what they're doing in here. They could be looking for us!" Draco remained adamant.

"No, Audrey!" he insisted. "Get yourself out!" I frowned but nodded.

"Okay, fine," I said. "But get yourself out right when I'm gone."

"Yes, yes. Now GO," Draco exclaimed. I looked ahead at the shadowy figure nestled between the rows of hidden trinkets. The door seemed miles away; there was no way I could get through without getting caught. The figure's cries were getting louder and louder, and I panicked. Staying crouched down with my wand out, I weaved through the aisles as quietly as I could. The person walked farther away from the door as I walked closer to it. I had no idea how Draco would stay hidden.

"Silencio!" I whispered, pointing my wand at the large knob on the door. I reached for the handle, the door staying silent as I opened it. I closed it then took a large sigh of relief. I stood upright, scanning the corridors for a stray student or professor. I wondered if I should wait for Draco, then decided against it. It would seem weird for me to loiter around the Room of Requirement alone on the night of the Christmas party. I scampered down the halls, praying not to run into anyone. I approached the Fat Lady out of breath.

"Password?" she asked in her arrogant drawl.

"Ermm... Uhhh.... Pumpkin pasty!" I cried, my voice trembling with panic.

"Enter," the Fat Lady said. "And Audrey, please calm down. Tonight is supposed to be fun, darling."

"Of course!" I said, plastering a fake smile onto my face. "Just shaken up with excitement!" I walked through the portrait hole, entering the common room. Harry and Ron sat on the couch by the fire. They turned to look at me. I used every ounce of strength I could to stop shaking, but I didn't know if it was working.

"Audrey!" Harry exclaimed. "What's the matter? I thought you went to bed." I racked my brain to search for an excuse for my panicked state. Think, think, think!

"Yes, I know," I started. "It's just that I had to go... to the hospital wing! I tripped while walking up the stairs and hit my head really hard. Thank goodness Hermione was there to take me to the hospital wing, or I don't know how much I would've bled." Harry jumped off the sofa and rushed over to me.

"Oh, Audrey!" he cried. "I'm so sorry. I didn't know!" He put his arm around me and pulled me close to his chest. "You're shaking. You shouldn't have left the hospital wing. Why did Madam Pomfrey let you go in this state?"