Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A/N- Hey guys! Thanks for checking out my fanfic! I'm really excited to keep the Harry Potter world going, and I hope that you like the story. Things are about to get more exciting now, so that's good. I will be trying to upload as regularly as I can. Enjoy! :)

"OW!" I screamed as the corner of an envelope hit me on the head before crashing onto the table. I really need to teach Deidre how to aim, I thought as I watched my tawny owl soar above the great hall.

"What is that?" Hermione asked, looking at the letter. "Who's it from?"

"Well somebody is feeling nosy today!" I said, giving her a playful look. I was so happy we were friends again. Turning away slightly, I flipped the letter over to see who it was from, when my heart stopped in my chest. Dad. Without wanting to look panicked, I slid up from the table, turning back to Hermione. "I have to go," I said shortly. Maybe too shortly.

"Oh my god, who do you think you're fooling?" Hermione asked as she stood up too. "Who is the letter from?" I had to lie. I couldn't open it up with her there. What if it was something bad? I had no choice but to lie, which was pretty inconvenient for me, since I had already lied to my closest friends several times since school started.

"Look... It's from...." I started, looking around the room. Oh, who was I kidding? Anyone I said she wouldn't believe. "It's from my dad," I said flatly. "I'm gonna go read it."

"Not without me you're not!" Hermione said as she followed me out of the Great Hall.

I let out a small groan as I dragged my feet across the cold stone floors. "No! I have to read it alone. I'll let you read it if it's something you would be interested in, I swear."

Hermione stopped walking. "You really are the most secretive girl I've ever met," she said softly. "I always thought that you would treat me differently, that you would let me in. Apparently I was wrong." She looked down sadly.

"Please don't be mad..." I started.

"I'm not mad," she interrupted. "Really, I'm not. Just disappointed. Go," she said, gesturing towards the big marble staircase. "Maybe it's important." I walked over to her and gave her a huge hug.

"Thank you," I said, smiling. "I'll be back in a minute." I dashed up the stairs and began heading towards the Room of Requirement. I walked quickly, wanting to avoid questioning from any teachers. I need a place to hide, I need a place to hide, I need a place to hide, I said as I paced in front of the blank stone wall. Suddenly, two big wooden doors appeared. I grabbed onto the thick brass handles and let myself in. My jaw dropped when I looked ahead. Wall to wall, floor to ceiling, were millions of objects. Apparently lots of students had things they wanted to hide. I wandered through the isles, looking at all the abandoned artifacts, when suddenly I stopped dead in my tracks.

"Harmonia Nectere Passus," a voice hissed. I covered my mouth to keep from crying out. I reached for my wand as silently as I could, and slowly moved forward.

"Harmonia Nectere Passus," the voice said again, closer this time. It was too dark for me to see anything.

"Lumos," I whispered, light emerging from the tip of my wand. I inched closer to the sound, going through all the jinxes I knew in my head.

"Harmonia Nectere Passus!!" the voice said, urgently. Wait, I thought. I know that voice... Malfoy. Turning back to the door, I thought about leaving, but decided against it. What exactly was he doing in here? Did he have something that he needed to hide too?

I crouched low so that he wouldn't see me. He was standing in front of a large and dusty cabinet, looking extremely stressed. What the?... It looked like he was trying to do some kind of dark magic. Maybe Cassady was right all this time, I thought. Maybe he is really a Death Eater. Tears threatened to fill my vision, which was weird, considering I didn't care at all about Malfoy. Well, no matter whether he was a Death Eater or not, he was doing something bad. And I was going to stop him.