Chapter 7

Chapter 7

"Okay, let me get this straight. You're breaking up with me because I called someone by their first name?!" I shrieked as I stomped through the portrait hole into the common room. Timmy sat in front of the fire, his leg shaking like it always did when he was upset.

"You know it means more than that," he snarled, his voice low. I bit my lip. I did know it meant more that that. Well, it was still no reason to break up with someone.

"Alright, I'm just gonna be honest with you," I said loudly. "First off, yes, Malfoy and I are not on horrible terms at the moment. I am not his friend, I will never be his friend, and I have no feelings for him. I do, however, care if you punch someone in the face who hasn't done anything. And I don't care what he's said to us in the past!" I cried just as Timmy opened his mouth to state how awful Malfoy was. "We don't stoop to such a low level! And for the record, he's never hurt me," I said. I glanced around the room to see that the entire common room was silent, their eyes fixated on me, mouths open. Dang it, I thought. I really don't mean to cause scenes. It just sort of happens. Timmy stood up, facing me, also becoming wary of all the eyes on us.

"Look, whatever. Take care of the git if that's what you want. Snog him for all I care. I'm done."

"Wait!" I cried, grabbing his hand as he started heading for the stairs. I stared into his big green eyes, finding that their usual sparkle was gone. I waited for the tingles that I normally felt when I took his hand, but felt nothing. "You're leaving? Don't you at least want to talk about this?"

"What is there to say Audrey?" he asked quietly.

"I... I don't know," I stuttered. "I don't feel like I have anything to apologize for. I mean, I'm just trying to be a good person."

"Since when has that been a high priority for you?" Timmy snarled, wrestling his arm out of my grip and storming up the stairs.

After Timmy's rather dramatic exit I just sort of stood there, feeling numb, until Hermione practically dragged me into the dorm.

"What in the world was that?" Hermione asked, confused. I plopped down on the bed, telling her in a rather monotone voice everything from the Malfoy-Timmy fight to the seemingly spontaneous break up.

"Wait... So he broke up with you because you called Malfoy by his first name?" she asked. I nodded, my eyes drooping from exhaustion.

"Yeah. He's mad that I defended Malfoy when he punched him."

"Well, maybe you shouldn't have freaked out on him. He was just standing up for you."

"I didn't freak out on him!" I groaned, leaning back on the bed. "I just confronted him. I don't want a boyfriend who would act like that to anyone." Hermione walked over to her bed.

"Why did you call him Draco?" she asked. "I mean, he's been enemies with us since our first year. We've always called him Malfoy, always. So now, it seems strange that something like that would just slip out." I closed my eyes, trying to sort out my feelings for myself.

"I know, it is strange." I said softly.

"Listen, we'll talk to Timmy tomorrow when he cools off a bit. I'm sure he'll realize how crazy he's being and he'll take you back."

"Take me back?" I said, rolling over to face her. "Who said I wanted to be taken back?" Hermione looked at me, surprised.

"You mean, you want to stay broken up?"

"I don't know..." I said, looking at the ceiling. "I feel like this has been coming. We've been a little rocky for a while, both kind of irritable about little insignificant things. I feel like we've just been waiting for the tipping point. Maybe we really should break up."