Chapter 28

The rest of the evening, we waited in anticipation for Harry to return. I sensed that Hermione and Ron knew more about Harry's work with Dumbledore, but I didn't want to make them uncomfortable by asking. While Harry did love me, that often resulted in him shielding me from details he shared with the others, because he wanted to protect me. It was annoying really, but still sweet.

I looked over Ron's essay which was actually pretty good. He didn't give himself enough credit. As for my essay, Hermione made a couple revisions, but said it was "perfectly acceptable." I laughed. That was at least better than her saying it was absolute bollocks.

Just as we were about to go up to our dormitories for the night, Harry burst back in through the portrait hole, and we all perked up. He actually looked frightened.

"Harry, what is it?" I said as he nearly walked right past me. He jumped as if he had completely forgotten we were all still there.

"We've figured it out, Audrey. Slughorn told me what I needed to know."

"And what's that?" I asked. Harry hesitated, as if he didn't have time to get into it. But seeing all three of us in suspense, he took a breath and sat down.

"There is a type of dark magic called a Horcrux. It's a way that someone could conceal a part of their soul, and so as long as it exists, they cannot truly die. Voldemort made seven. That's why he has been able to survive. Now, we have to destroy them."

"How do you make one?" I asked.

"You have to murder," Harry said darkly. "You give a soul up, then you conceal part of your own."

"This is unbelievable," Hermione said softly.

"I know," Harry said, standing up. "But I really do have to go now."

"Go where, mate?" Ron asked.

"I just, I can't get into it now. Dumbledore is waiting for me."

"Harry, wait," Hermione said. "Is it dangerous?"

"...Very," he replied. "But we have no choice."

I could still see the fear in his face as he said this. I wanted desperately to hold onto him and never let him go, but he was Harry Potter: the chosen one. He was extraordinary, and was called on to do extraordinary things that put his life at risk. And as much as it hurt, I had to accept that, even though it made me feel entirely helpless.

He ran up to his dormitory, leaving us there. I could feel myself starting to shake, which I instantly tried to hide.

"It's going to be alright, Audrey," Hermione said quietly, putting a hand on my shoulder to steady me. "Harry can handle himself. And he'll have Dumbledore."

Harry came back down the winding stone steps and pulled me into a hug. As he held me, I could feel him slip a piece of parchment into my cloak.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Marauder's Map," he answered. "When you see me appear at the Astronomy Tower, come and find me."

"OK..." I said, my voice trembling. "I love you so, so much Harry."

He let go of the embrace to face me, and kissed me on the forehead. "I love you more, Audrianna."

And with that, he was gone. I turned and walked over to the window, watching the pine trees bend and twist in the spring wind.

"Dumbledore, please protect him..." I whispered, hoping that even from the Astronomy Tower, Dumbledore could hear me.

...