Chapter 54

"HOW DARE YOU," he bellowed. Not Snape, surprisingly, but Lupin. I had no idea that Lupin would be waiting for me alongside Snape, but there he was, red-faced and mad as hell. "Barely a month into being a spy for the Order, and you WILLINGLY reveal your position to a boy just because you love him. How dare you."

I stood rooted to the spot. When Draco and I went in, I knew that I needed to tell them quickly and get it out of the way. Snape stood just as still as me, staring at Draco like it was the first time he had ever laid eyes on him. Lupin hunched over Snape's desk, his nails digging into the wood like he was gripping it for dear life.

I was startled, but not afraid. I was not ashamed at what I had done. Draco was a part of the Order now as far as I was concerned, and I felt I had done my job well.

"I'm sorry Professor Lupin, but I don't think I did anything wrong. Draco and I are-"

"In love?" Lupin interrupted, finishing my sentence for me. "Don't be ridiculous, Audrey. You are not in love with the man who kidnapped your sister."

"Yes I am!" I cried, before realizing how bad it sounded when he put it like that. "You don't know him, Professor. You don't understand," I said, but Lupin cut me off again.

"No, YOU don't understand, Audrianna," he said, stepping out from behind the desk and walking towards Draco and I. We instinctively backed away. Overall, Lupin had a quiet and kind demeanor, but when he was angry, it was easy to remember he was a werewolf. That inner rage wasn't always invisible, even when he was human.

"Because of your arrogance and stupidity, you are no longer a member of the Order of the Phoenix," Lupin said, keeping his eyes fixated on mine. "Your assignment is at an end, and I suggest you return to Dorset. Or, stay with the Death Eaters. Your welfare is not our concern anymore."

"No!" Draco cried. "You can't do that! She's sacrificed everything for you!" Draco moved towards Lupin, and I could see him reach back for his wand. "And you're wrong about me. I'm a spy now, too."

"Don't be ridiculous, boy," Lupin said, dismissing Draco with a wave of his hand. "We all know who you are and where you come from."

"Don't speak to him like that!" I cried, anger rising from within me.

"Enough," Snape said, calm but firm. "Enough."

Snape approached Draco and I as Lupin slumped down in an armchair. I grabbed Draco's hand and looked to Snape. As he got closer to us, I could see just how utterly exhausted Snape looked.

"Audrey, what you did was very reckless," Snape said quietly. "This is a fact."

I thought about arguing, but just looked down and nodded.

"And," he continued. "I am very disappointed that you would let romantic feelings for someone else cloud your judgement."

I looked back up at him and didn't try to hide my annoyance. There was nothing worse than being scolded, especially when I felt I did nothing wrong. But it was reckless, and it was a risk. There was no denying it.

"But, I know Draco well," Snape said, turning to Draco. "And it seems he's had a real change of heart since last time we spoke."

A rising silence grew in the room as the two of them looked at each other. Suddenly, I felt as though I should leave.

"Would you like to talk to Draco alone?" I asked.

"Yes, I believe that would be best," Snape said, and Lupin and I headed for the door. Snape had known Draco since Draco was a child, and I was sure Snape had a lot of questions.