30: Broken Family

Start from the beginning

"I haven't got a choice, Todo," I smiled sadly. He looked as though he wanted to say something, but we were both interrupted when my mum opened my bedroom door.

"Well well, (y/n)'s got a boy in her room!" She slurred, obviously drunk. I rolled my eyes, turning back to Mitsuha. "Make sure you use a condom, you don't want to have to deal with a mistake like Mitsuha!"

"MUM!" I shouted, angrily. She simply laughed and left my room, closing the door behind her. I refused to let tears fall from my eyes, wanting desperately to keep ahold of a little bit of strength. I felt Todoroki's presence behind me, so I turned to see him standing there with his arms open. Immediately I hugged him, my eyes scrunching shut as I tried to steady my breathing. The way he held onto me made me feel loved, despite him probably not returning my feelings. Todoroki ended up staying until quite late, and when he had gone all hell broke loose.

"So, you've bagged yourself a boyfriend?" Mum mocked harshly.

"He's not my boyfriend," I said though gritted teeth, about to head back to my room.

"How dare you talk back to me!" She shouted. The smell of alcohol radiated off of her and I scrunched my face up in utter disgust. "You and Mitsuha... you ruined my life!"

"We ruined your life? I think you should take a look at all the bottles of alcohol lying around this place, the overflowing ash tray, the fact you bring home a different guy every night!" I retaliated.

"You bitch! How dare you speak to me like that! I am your mother!"

"Then start acting like it instead of telling me how much I've apparently ruined your life! No wonder dad left! I don't blame him at all, and if I could leave I happily would-," a stinging pain was suddenly felt against my cheek as I realised she had slapped me. She hadn't hit me since dad was here and able to stop her, so I knew where this was going.

She started pulling at my hair violently, kicking my shins and knocking me to the ground. She knocked a glass off of the side, it smashing into pieces and cutting my cheek. She kept on kicking me in the stomach, screeching about how much I was a bitch and how I should be thankful that there's a roof over my head. "You're not even paying for it!" I coughed. "I'm the one that works tirelessly whilst you spend all of our money on alcohol-," I heard Mitsuha begin to cry in my bedroom and immediately tried to crawl towards my room but mum stopped me, pulling my hair viciously and lifting me up. I screamed out in pain, trying to push her away put it didn't work.

After another ten minutes of continuous beating, she left me on the floor with blood dripping down my face, a swollen lip and bruises on my stomach, but despite all of that I still desperately went to my room to check on Mitsuha, to try and calm her down as hearing her cry hurt more then all of my injuries combined. Through tears of my own I attempted to calm her, holding her favourite stuffed animal in front of her which she smiled at. As she slowly drifted off I felt tears falling down my face, wondering whether or not I was weak.

The next day I dropped off Mitsuha at the nursery like I always did, then headed to UA. I had bandaged up my injuries and had taken some paracetamol but it wasn't really working as I still felt pain with every step I took. I heard the voice of my crush call out my name and instinctively I turned around, his face dropping from its slight smile when he saw me. "(y/n)! What happened?" He asked desperately, running his thumb across my cheek which still stung under the plaster.

"Nothing, I'm okay," I lied and he could see right through me.

"It was her wasn't it," he growled. I remained quiet which was all he needed to confirm that he was right.

"M-Mitsuha wasn't hurt though, so that's the main thing," I presented a hollow smile. He looked almost heartbroken as I told him with sincerity to ignore it, and carried on walking into school, trying to forget about it myself.