The Attention

"W-What?" I stuttered, unable to wrap my head around the new fact

"W-What?" I stuttered, unable to wrap my head around the new fact. Serena avoided my gaze, keeping her head down. Why would she do that? She knew that I didn't want anyone to know. "She told me when you couldn't! I'm your best friend, don't you think I deserved to know?" Hurt flashed through his eyes.

"You weren't that special to know. I'm twenty-two, you have no idea what I've been through. No matter how much Serena told you, none of you would ever know how much I've been through," I lowkey muttered. He looked away in guilt and shame but that didn't stop him either.

"You're right but...I still wished I knew. I thought we had something but turns out you're...you're just plain evil," Alton commented. Evil? Does that make any sense? How is it that I like to keep private details private? "You're telling me about loyalty when you're here fucking my best friend. Did I not deserve to know that?" I objected. He smacked his lips shut and I mentally smirked.

"We aren't best friends anymore Siya, and you know it. I respect you and both of us are doing our own things. We're stepsisters, half-sisters...whatever it is but we won't be as how we were in high school," Serena interrupted. Her words hit me hard like bullets to the chest. She's right, with the distance between us we stopped updating each other on everything.

We still have that sisterly bond but what we had in high school seems impossible now. "Well, finally you told her," Alton scoffed. Of course, he knew she was feeling this way. My phone buzzed in my back pocket and I took that as an excuse so I can get more time to think of what to say.

Sage:
I think you should get home quickly.

"Look, I have to go. Serena can we please have lunch soon or something? You're completely right but I need you to know that I'm always here for you, I didn't think this bothered you as much," I suggested hopefully. Her eyes lit up and she nodded her head," yes, we can make plans and same here."

"Alton, this date was magnificent but don't call me or show up at my work ever again, got it?" I blunted and gave him a sarcastic smile before leaving.

Great, now I have to take a cab.

_♤_

"I'm home, the date was a bust and I don't want to talk about it," I announced my entrance. Instead of hearing a reply from Quinton or Chelsea, I hear a soft bark instead. I hung my coat on the rack and looked over to the living room. This cannot be happening. Declan was playing with a small light brown puppy. Quinton and Chelsea sat next to him but their eyes were filled with fright staring at me.

"What's that?" I asked him, walking closer to the puppy. It's adorable, I'll give it that. Declan loves puppies but we have too many responsibilities that I haven't gotten around to getting him one. I will eventually though.

"Well finally, I need me some whiskey," Sage interrupted from where she stood in the kitchen. So this is what she was speaking about in the text message. "Quiny got me a puppy!" Declan cheered and my eyes snapped to my guilty brother. "Quinton," I lowly warned. I hope Declan was simply rephrasing his words or something. Maybe it's the neighbor's new puppy or something. "I can explain-" I cut him off immediately.

"Well start because you know I said no to the puppy before," I snapped. His eyes softened on guilt. "Yes you did, but he wanted one and I didn't think I needed your permission. I paid for everything already," he countered against me.

"Don't need my permission? I am his mother! I don't care that you paid for it all, it has to go," I ordered. "Please no mommy," My eyes bolted to Declan. I already made him sad, damn it. This is all Quinton's fault for giving him everything he wants.

"Where did my whiskey go?" Sage shouted, sticking her head into the cabinets with her knees on the countertop. We all ignored her and went back to what mattered. "Can we name him Whiskey? Please! Aunty Sage is always saying she wants Whiskey," Declan begged, pouting his lips and batting his eyelashes.

Of course, he would choose that name. "Chels can you take Declan to the room, I need to have a chat with my brother," I begged Chelsea, she nodded and without further questions, she laced her hand with Declan's. "Can the puppy come?" Declan pouted.

"Yes, you can take the puppy," I sighed. We waited for the door to shut before Quinton continued. "Declan clearly wants the puppy, just give him what he wants," he softly said. "I am his mother and I make those decisions, not you, how are we going to maintain the puppy when we barely have time on our hands?" I questioned him. I hated that Quinton wasn't understanding the point I was trying to make.

"Oh, so he's your son now? Huh, now you wanna be proud? You weren't proud to say that when Kolson fucking Starvi walked into this apartment," He scoffed, standing to his feet. "Watch your language and that has nothing to do with this and you know it. Just man up and accept that you should have contacted me about the puppy," I softly said after realizing I shouldn't be getting angry when Declan can hear me screaming.

"He's a little kid! You don't give enough attention for him and you make your friends and me do your parenting work," he thundered. My fists balled at my sides. I felt terrible, his words were shattering me but instead, I chose to get angry over it. He of all should know the things I do to make sure Declan is safe and happy. "You know what, that's it. I know I said all of this would stop in some months but it's stopping now. I don't need you guys help anymore. You could have just told me if you felt that way," I ended and walked into Chelsea's room to get my son.

"I'm sorry I upset you, momma," Declan mumbled, jumping on my bed. Angrily, I grabbed a duffle bag from the closet and started throwing random pieces of my clothes and Declan's into it. After that, I added other essentials I'll need for the night and zipped it up, and put the strap on my shoulder. "You didn't upset me, cuddle bug. You can never," I assured him, cupping his face and kissing his nose.

"Are we going somewhere?" He asked me hesitantly. I nodded my head and picked him up with my free hand. "We're going for a little drive," I vaguely said. He nodded his head and I began to wonder why it is he dropped the puppy thing already.

Fuck it.

I put Declan on the sofa, and with a huff, I grabbed the dog crate, picked up the small furball, and put him inside. I locked it and turned to my son. Declan had a wide smile on his face, knowing very well what his cuteness does. "I love you, mommy," he grinned, happily. I rolled my eyes playfully and picked him up again. Quinton walked out of his bedroom on my way out.

"I'll be staying at the penthouse tonight," I bluntly told Quinton before I marched out of the apartment and slammed the door harshly behind me.