The Assistant

(Present day: five years after the goodbye)

"Nessara," I repeated out of shock. I somehow got my eyes off her to look at kolson. I couldn't read anything off of him but what I did realize was that he wished this wasn't happening right now. "Um- I'm Siya Kane, his...personal assistant," I finally sobered up and returned the introduction. Saying my new title for him was still so foreign to me.

But I had to admit, I only said my name to see if she already knew it. But the way her eyes lit up told me otherwise. "Siya? Are you the girl under the black and white wig?" She joked and I faked a nervous laugh. "I'm very good with secrets so you're going to have to find a better way of finding that out," I played along. "Okay, I see," she ended.

"So um, how did you both meet?" I changed the subject. This was a normal question people ask couples. I had to know. I had to know if he lied. What if she was never dead? "Oh we were friends in high school," she happily responded. "You may leave, Siya," Kolson interrupted before I could even reply. "Chill Kol, let the girl talk. I'm sure she could keep me up with your shenanigans at your new job," Nessara objected.

"No, really. I should go," I placed the food that I'd been holding onto on the desk before leaving. As I shut the door, Nessara shouted," It was nice meeting you!"

She seemed utterly harmless. And she was flawless. I had wide hips not to mention the stretch marks and bigger breasts since pregnancy. Everything of hers seemed perfect.

All bodies are beautiful, my body is beautiful.

I had to keep reminding myself. I was way too old to be insecure about my body but I believed that every now and then people are.

When I made it back to the office, the phone rang and I got my professional voice ready to answer the call. "Hello, I'm trying to reach Kol," the familiar voice said when I picked up before I could say anything.

"Verrin," I spoke into the phone, making sure it was real. He's been ignoring my calls and I'm pissed. "You're still the assistant?" He asked, shocked and I rolled my eyes. He was planning on replacing me? I'll gladly like that. "Why didn't you flipping tell me? I deserved to know you were planning on switching with him," I blurted out angrily at him.

"You're overreacting, Siya. He wasn't even your boyfriend yet. Yes, there is bad blood between you but don't let this ruin your last couple of months," Verrin advised in a sigh. "I know that! What I don't know is why you didn't tell me and why you've been ignoring my calls," I defended. I hated that he thought this was nothing. Yet again, he also didn't know I was hiding Kolson's child.

"Because I know you'd be pissed. Just let it go. He has a fiance now," he mentioned and I held the phone tighter. That was another thing I was pissed about. The girl he once told me about, the girl he was afraid of loving me with, the girl who was dead. Is now alive and is his fiance.

Kolson had to really change in order to ask someone to marry him. She had to mean a lot to him. "I thought she was dead! You could have told me," I whispered softly. "You told me not to talk about him otherwise I would have told you last year when it happened," he defended. I stayed silent, knowing the was right.

"Whatever, Verrin. I'll tell him to call you," I brushed him off and ended the call. I quickly sent a message to Kolson's laptop from mine stating that Verrin Shaw requested a phone call before getting back to work.

_♤_

When I got home, I got back to work on my little office in the corner. I think Sage took Declan out to the playground after school or maybe to get something to eat. Nevertheless, I knew he was safe and I could continue working on my paper files, responding to people, and adding adjustments.

Midway, Declan came home and I decided for both of us to eat some cereal in the kitchen while we waited until Sage made dinner. "Momma are you okay?" Decklan innocently asked me as I stirred the cereal around the bowl of soaking milk. "Yes, cuddle bug, I'm just tired," I sighed, not even lying.

"When I'm tired you tell me it's time to nap," my little son stated and I stare at him amusingly.

Little genius.

"When I digest first," I simply tell him. He nodded his head and continued playing his games on my phone. As much as I tried to avoid it, I couldn't keep technology away from him. But I made sure he understood that too much isn't good for him so when I tell him it's time to get off, most of the time he listens to me.

"Momma, why is it that all the other kids at school have dads and I don't?" He asked, pouting. I was surprised by this question, not expecting it. He started school, I should have known this was coming. He went almost a year of school without asking about his father though, so why now?

I held his chin, looking him straight in the eyes," that's because you're special and you don't need a dad, aren't you happy with just me?" I pretended to be offended. Decklan smiled widely," yes I am," he says before throwing his little arms around my neck.

I hugged him back tightly before letting go. "Do you want me to get him ready for bed so you could do the dishes?" Chelsea asked, walking into the kitchen. "Yes, please," I answered. She smiled before taking Declan away so I could finish up the cereal and do the dishes. It was already six in the afternoon and by nine he should go to bed.

My phone dinged and I grabbed it to read the message before doing the dishes. Maybe I was procrastinating from doing the dishes but I mean, a girl can be lazy sometimes.

Alton:
Call me.

Alton:
I'm taking you out for lunch tomorrow.

Alton is a new character, you haven't met him yet

Alton is a new character, you haven't met him yet. Who do you think he is though;)

I also wanted to point out that you'll read Siya working on something, it's a special project that I'm keeping a surprise until later on.

Anyway, thank you for reading. Please don't hesitate to let me know what you think, I'd love to know♡