24: Let's Kidnap My Cousin

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, yeah. I'm on my way." I nodded before hanging up. "Are you freaking kidding me?" I screamed as loud as I could. I felt the sudden urge to cry from frustration. I contemplated hiding out here and leaving Derrek to face my parents all alone but I couldn't. He had helped me last night. I couldn't just abandon him now.

"What happened? Are you okay? Did someone break in?" Naborhi came running into the living room in her pink towel and a white face mask. "Why the hell did you scream?"

In response, I let out a groan, stamping my feet on the ground in annoyance.

"My parents and Ruby are at Derek's." I informed and her eyes grew wide at saucers.

"What the-how the hell did that happen?" She screamed and I shook my head, letting out an over exaggerated sob.

"It's all escalating so fast. I'm having trouble keeping up with the drama that is my life." I dropped down on the couch. This was much too insane to be real. "We should have kidnapped Ruby the moment she stepped into my house. I hate her so much." I let out another cry.

"So, what do you want to do?" Naborhi asked, settling down on the hand of the couch. She smoothened the mask on her face for a moment before setting her arms down on her thighs as she propped her feet up on the couch.

"I want to run away to some far country in another country in another planet in another galaxy in an alternate universe." I sighed, placing the back of my palm over my forehead as I leaned my head back to the top of the couch. I was starting to get a headache.

"And leave poor Derrek alone with your parents? I thought you loved him." She smacked my arm and I glared at her.

"Love him? How could I-" I caught myself as I was about to say something I would have deeply regretted. "How could I not love him? He's amazing but I would leave his ass out to dry if it meant escaping that ship wreck my parents are going to cause." I was seriously considering it.

"You don't mean that."

"No, I don't." I sat up. So, I wasn't that heartless to actually abandon Derrek. I was very close to doing it but I wasn't going to. "I'm scared, Ana. I'm innocent and Ruby should be the one shaking in her undeserving red bottoms but I'm terrified."

"Don't be, Tia. God is on your side. He will never let you down." Naborhi encouraged and I put my palms together, looking up to the ceiling and silently praying for God's help. I was surely going to need it.

"Can you give me a ride to Derrek's please?"

"Sure. Let me just have a quick shower. I stink." She made a disgusted face at herself and rushed out of the living room.

*

I dreaded the drive to Derek's. So often, I thought of jumping out of the car just to avoid the painful encounter but then, I reminded myself that my life was very precious and my current problem wasn't something to kill myself over. I was going to get through this and I was going to kick Ruby's ass all the way to the north pole where she belonged. I was still terrified though. I had no idea what to expect from my parents or Ruby and I felt bad that Derrek had been dragged into this. His only crime was being my fake fiancé and helping me out. The first was fraud which was an actual crime but no one was going to find out.

"Oh God!" I gasped as a thought occurred to me. What if Derrek confessed everything to my parents in order to save his own skin? He couldn't do that, right? We signed a contract. Then again, my parents could be terrifying. If he told them about the fake engagement, I could never face them again. My heart began to pound in my chest and my palms became clammy. This was very much turning into the worst day of my life.

"What's wrong?" Naborhi asked, briefly glancing at me. I shook my head dismissively. I couldn't share my worries with her. She didn't know about my fake engagement with Derrek. The only one who knew was Derrek's silly cousin, Luke and I couldn't even rely on him right now, neither did I want to. If he was the last person on Earth to comfort me, I was as good as screwed.

"It's nothing."

I felt my heart stop the moment Naborhi parked beside Derrek's apartment. I glanced up at the building, swallowing hard. I bit my lower lip nervously, running every possible scenario of my meet with my parents in my head. I wasn't prepared. I didn't want to go up there but I had no choice. I was already here. There was no backing out now.

"How about we switch bodies and you go up there in my place?" I turned to Naborhi who shook her head vehemently.

"No, thank you, Tiara. I wouldn't even if I could."

"I don't blame you. I wouldn't want to be in my shoes either." I gave another sigh, glancing back at the building. "I guess this is it, huh?"

"You've got this, Ti. You just have to make them hear you. They're your parents, they'll listen." She placed a comforting hand on my shoulder.

"Listening isn't one of my parents strong suit. Shouting however is their specialty."

"It will all work out, sweetie. Don't worry."

"I sure do hope so, Ana, or someone's coming out of there in a body bag." I gave another heavy sigh. "For once I fear it might be me."

"Stop stalling, Tiara. It's time to face your problems head on." Naborhi gave me a slight shove and I glared at her. It was easy for her to say so when she wasn't in my shoes.

"Fine. Here goes everything." I unlocked the door and took in a deep breath. "So help me God."

"So help you God." She agreed as I stepped out of the car. "Call me if you need a ride home...or to the hospital." She teased and I glared at her.

"Not funny."

"Sorry. Bye, sweetie. I'll be praying for you."

*******************

The Digiola family + Derrek meeting should be fun 😁

Stay tuned to find out what happens next. 😉

Who else hates Ruby? 🙋🏽‍♀️