Monster

"Monster
How should I feel?
Creatures lie here
Looking through the window"

"Monster" – Nightcore

"The police just found out Hope wasn't adopted" I say as soon as I walk through the front door. William thinks Melissa knew so she must have. "How could you stay silent?"

"They didn't mistreat Kara" Melissa says casually, as if this shouldn't matter to us. She even knows Hope's birth name. "They've given her a good life, her issues are not her parents fault." Melissa's referring to Andrew and Susan as Hope's parents makes my stomach sink. Hope is always going to consider Susan and Andrew her parents, despite everything they've done.

"How could you keep this from me?" William asks in a quiet voice, a dangerously quiet voice. "This affects our entire livelihood; I could lose my job if people find out you knew." I don't think William's job is the most important thing right now, but he's right.

"Aren't you supposed to trust your partner?" I ask Melissa, how can either of us trust her ever again? Melissa is a terrible person, she's one of the reasons Susan and Andrew have been able to hurt so many people.

"I need to talk to Juliet alone" Melissa says to William, who heads into his office without protesting. I don't want to be alone with Melissa after what she's done, she disgusts me.

"How could you do any of this?" I ask, following Melissa into the living room. I don't sit down; I have no idea how much Melissa knows but I need to find out.

"None of this will be tied to us" Melissa attempts to reassure me. That doesn't change anything for me.

"Gee, that's wonderful, we can forget this all happened" I snap, it doesn't matter whether or not she gets into legal trouble, what she's done is terrible.

"You'll find in life that a lot of people up the top trampled on people to get there. Haven't you ever wondered what the people on top of the world have done to get there?" Melissa asks still in the same calm tone. I don't think she understands why I think this is bad which makes this even worse, does she have any morals at all?

"A lot of people on top on the world haven't kidnapped their competitor's baby or gotten people killed! How can you defend them after they killed your brother?" I exclaim, my voice loud. A tear rolls down my cheek, did Melissa mourn the loss of her brother or was it just something that Andrew had to do to stay at the top?

"It had to be done" Melissa says, causing my heart to sink. She's as cold as the dead, does she love anyone? Would she care if Andrew and Susan had me or William killed? I can't live here anymore; I can't live under the same room as Melissa.

"Hope's live has been ruined because of Andrew and Susan! Do you even care about what her birth parents have gone through? Hope will be separated from the people she thought were her brothers!" I yell, clenching my fists. Melissa sickens me, she truly believes all of this had to happen.

"Kara will be fine" Melissa says firmly. "She's almost eighteen, she can get her own place if she wants." I wish I was with Hope right now, she shouldn't be alone. Her entire life has changed because of me and I can't even be with her right now.

"Stop calling her Kara! Where is she? I have to go to her. She doesn't deserve to be alone; she's only suffering because you turned a blind eye to everything" I say to Melissa. I can't bear the thought of not seeing Hope until the results come in.

"You can't see Hope" William says, I didn't even realize that he was standing in the doorway. "As soon as the results come in, I'll see what I can do."

"I can't leave her alone" I say pleadingly to William. How can Hope be alone right now? She's vulnerable and her life might completely change, and she can't even talk to her friends.

"When the results in come, I will make sure you can see her but until then you have to wait" William says and I nod in agreement biting my lip. It's pointless to argue since this isn't William's decision, it's the law but I wish Hope didn't have to be alone.

I frown as someone rings the doorbell. "I'll get it" I say and I head to the front door. I can see two figures outside, maybe the police have come for William, she said nothing can tie her to this but Andrew or Susan could have something that links Melissa to all of this, she might not know about it.

"Ashton? Wes?" I say as I open my door. Both of them look worried and shocked, something I think everyone who is involved in this is feeling.

"Is Hope here?" Wes asks me, causing my heart to sink. The three of us should be able to stay with Hope until this is all over. I'd be happy to not leave wherever Hope is until the results come in.

"We can't see her until the DNA test results come" I inform Wes, who sighs. Ashton rolls his eyes and runs his fingers through his hair.

"Do you want to come in?" I ask, they probably should know everything before they go see Hope, I don't think she'll be in the mood to rehash everything.

Ashton and Wes follow me up to my bedroom. I sit down on my bed and they sit down in two of my chairs, I start to explain everything that lead to this. If we'd never searched Andrew's office, none of this would be happening right now, it's crazy how one action can affect so many things.

"I'm glad you're okay" Ashton says, it's scary to think that if Hope hadn't lunged at Andrew, they'd be visiting my grave right now. Would Melissa have mourned me? I'll never quite know what is going on in Melissa's head, it's just something else I'll never find out.

"I can't wait until we can see Hope" I say, I don't know if Hope will be mad at me but at least I'll be able to find out how she's feeling and see if I can do anything.

*Author's Note* Poor Hope