Heartache On The Big Screen

"This ain't a movie that I wanna see
A tragic story, starring you and me
Yell "cut", we're stuck inside this scene
This is heartache on the big screen
The clock is ticking, and I'm out of time"

"Heartache On The Big Screen" – 5 Seconds Of Summer

"Hope is going to hate me when all this is over" I sigh as we walk into the restaurant where Reed might be. I know that we have to do this, I'm not letting Andrew get away with the death of my parents, but I fear I'll lose Hope when the truth unfolds.

"Maybe for a while, but she'll realize that you did what you had to do" Hunter says to me as we head inside. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding when I see Reed, he's alone so whoever he was with must have left.

"Hey" Reed says, looking amused. "Did you get a new girlfriend?" I roll my eyes, how can he act like this when he's holding such a big secret?

"We know" I say venomously, clenching my fists. "We know you're involved with Susan and Andrew Flynn, and we know you've done things that are less than legal." Reed's cocky smirk is gone, replaced by a look of apprehension, maybe even fear. Reed gestures for both of us to sit down.

"You figured out the truth behind Hope's birth?" Reed asks me, causing me and Hunter to exchange a look of surprise. How did Reed figure this out and why was he looking into Hope? "It's awfully easy to find information that doesn't add up if you know where to look. I was hoping for a secret to blackmail them with and I guess Hope was my hope." I openly roll my eyes at this stupid remark.

"Why did you attack Hope?" Hunter asks, this is what doesn't make any sense. I doubt it was a random, homophobic attack, I think Reed knew Hope was at a gay club that night and he took his friends there with the intention of waiting for Hope.

"Because I already had the blackmail money, I thought it would cause the police to look into Hope to try and find out if anyone had it in for her, I was stupid to not realize that Andrew would just pay them to skim over the dirty details. Did you really think a late night jogger just happened to find her?" Reed says, sounding regretful. This is getting even more twisted, there were other ways he could have gotten the police's attention on Hope, ways that didn't involve him committing assault.

"Susan said your dad had cancer and told us you were Hope's biological brother, why is she involving you in any of this?" Hunter asks after a few seconds of confused silence. I think Susan wanted to make sure Hope didn't look into her adoption, but why would she pluck Reed's name out of the air?

"I'm not Hope's brother, I just have an agreement with Susan that involves monthly payments" Reed shrugs. "They knew it was either that or I'd go to the police, and they couldn't cause an accident, too many people knew I was involved with them." It's nice to know Andrew and Susan would have gotten Reed killed, but they couldn't because it would come back to them.

"What happened when Hope was born? How did nobody ever find out Hope was illegally adopted?" I can't believe that everyone can be bribed, some people must have morals. I would never keep quiet in exchange for money, no matter how much.

"She was kidnapped and given to Susan and Andrew" Reed says casually, as if this isn't a big deal. "It had something to do with competitors, I don't actually know the full story." Reed glances at his watch and stands up. I'm tempted to force him to stay, but it seems like he doesn't know as much as we hoped, he's just involved because they pay him to be.

"Nobody better hear about this" Hunter says firmly, looking up at Reed. "As a thank you for that, we'll keep your name out of it."

"Hope's birth name is Kara Sage. This is my number in case you need me." Reed replies before walking away. I think a part of Reed does want all of this to come out, even though it will mean he's not paid off anymore, he's not as evil as I thought.

"He's not lying, there was a Kara Sage who went missing seventeen years ago and hasn't been found, people think it was her parents and they covered it up!" Hunter says, whispering despite the fact there's no one near us in the café. "They owe a multi-millionaire jewellery company as well!" Susan and Andrew kidnapped Hope because she was the child of their competition? That is psychotic, there are so many other ways to deal with competitors.

"If we explain it to the Sages, then get Hope's DNA and do a DNA test, we'd have proof. This family is rich as well, I don't think Susan and Andrew could get out of this one" I say, a knot in my stomach. The truth is coming together and we're so close to the end of all this.

"I say we talk to Hope and then the Sages" Hunter decides. "She doesn't deserve to just wake up one day with the police knocking at her door, arresting the people she believes are her parents, and telling her she's actually Kara Sage." Hunter's right, Hope will listen to us and she'll realize the evidence is overwhelming.

"We need Reed there" I realize, I'm aware it'll be traumatic for Hope but if he's there, Hope will know it's true. What possible reason would I have to drag Reed into all this?

Hope has to believe us, if she tells Andrew and Susan what we said, I fear they'll do whatever it takes to keep us quiet, even if it means they have to stage an accident. I'm not going to let them hurt anyone else, especially Hunter. Hunter could have fled the minute we realized this is dangerous but she's still helping me because she's my best friend. I'm not letting Hunter's loyalty get her hurt or worse. 

*Author's Note* Well, we getting towards the end. All will be explained soon.