𝐈𝐕 ― salt, sea, scars

―♛―

CHAPTER IV:

✧. ⋆ salt, sea, scars

 ⋆ salt, sea, scars

     𝕬 SHOUT LEFT HER LIPS as the clang of steel meeting steel echoed through the camp. The men cheered and the sound was like a wave breaking against her bones. She couldn't help but grin at her opponent as he tried to gather his balance. Young Ragnar had challenged her to a friendly competition to test her skills with a sword. Soon, however, the entire encampment had gathered around to watch. Some were cheering for their Lady, while others encouraged Ragnar. She had spotted Bjorn standing at the sidelines with Kara at his side, the two of them exchanging bets as they watched their friends test each other's skill.

She was no longer the little girl who'd climbed to sit on top of Ragnar's shoulders. She had learned her way with a sword and did not fear to show him that. He had been surprised by her skills at first but had soon managed to regain himself. Eldrid had lost track of time as they exchanged blows. At times it seemed like he might win, only for the battle to turn around in her favor seconds later.

Autumn and winter came and went while they had tried to find Sverri but every path came to a dead end. Eventually they'd made the choice to set up camp for the winter and try again to find the slaver in the spring. Ragnar had tried his hardest to keep searching but with the days growing colder and the snow blocking the main roads, they had been forced to set up camp and built shelters. Eldrid understood the Dane's pain. She too wanted nothing more than to find her family. It'd been strange to see the roles reversed, with her pleading for rest for the men while Ragnar endlessly tried to find information that might help them. It'd almost made her pity the burden placed on her brother's shoulders all these years when he tried to keep her in check.