𝐈𝐈 ― swear it on the gods

―♛―

CHAPTER II:

✧. ⋆ swear it on the gods

 ⋆ swear it on the gods

     𝕰NGLAND WAS EVERYTHING ELDRID HAD heard about and more. She had listened to many Danes talking about how rich the land was, how sweet the water and how soft the wind. She had often dismissed their stories as nothing more than pretty words but now that she'd spend over a year in the Saxon country, she could do nothing more than agree. Though her love for Denmark would forever remain in her heart, she had to admit that England held a certain beauty. It was less rough, more inviting and a beautiful place for anyone who wished to make a new start. The dangerous journey the Danes made across the sea was understable now that she'd seen the rich green hills with her own eyes. Yet the mountains and the colored night sky of Denmark were calling her home with such fury that her heart ached at times.

And oh how her heart ached at this very moment. She was seated on the beach, looking out over the sea, her fingers playing with the soft and golden sand. When she closed her eyes she could pretend she was standing on the battlements of her father's fortress. Tornbridge was the most beautiful place she had ever seen. It was built high in the mountains looking out over a mighty fjord that stretched out as far as the eye could see. The sound of the sea meeting the shore could just as easily have been the water of the fjord beating on the rocks. If she tried even harder she could pretend that the sounds of the camp behind her were the sounds of the market in the courtyard.

She could almost feel her father's presence and hear the limp in his step as he walked towards her. The thought of his wound changed her pleasant day dream into a nightmare. Suddenly she was no longer standing on the ramparts but down below in the courtyard, desperately searching for her family in the chaos of the battle. There had only been one thought on her mind that day. Her fault...it was all her fault. And even now, after many winters and summers had passed, it was still the only thought on her mind when she thought of her family.