𝐕 ― unlikely allies

―♛―

CHAPTER V:

✧. ⋆ unlikely allies

 ⋆ unlikely allies

     𝕿HE FIRE CRACKLED SOFTLY BENEATH the starry night sky. Little orange sparks drifted upwards to join the blinking lights in the heavens. In the distance the sound of the sea meeting the shore lingered, the only sound that accompanied the soft cracking of the wood that fueled the flames.

They sat in silence around the fire, all of them with their own thoughts to keep them company. Eldrid stared into the flames, wishing she could shove Kjartan into the heat and watch the skin melt from his bones. He had bought her family, like they were worth nothing more than cattle, and she was going to make him pay for it. But she couldn't simply march up to the gates of his fortress and demand he'd step outside. She didn't have the men needed to storm the walls, or the supplies for a siege. She had nothing but her anger to keep her going. Finally she had a name, finally her search had ended and now she didn't have the means to see it through...

"Halig," a soft voice cut through the heavy silence.

Eldrid lifted her gaze from the flames, watching as Uhtred finally seemed to have shaken the ghosts haunting him, at least long enough to worry about his friend.

"He has been taken down," Ragnar reassured him. "Wrapped and buried with shield and sword."

"You will say words for him, Hild?" Uhtred questioned, though his gaze remained focused on the flames.

"I have," the warrior nun nodded. "I will, always."

Silence settled on their group once more and Eldrid found herself watching the one they called Daneslayer. So far, she wasn't impressed, but she had to remind herself he spent the whole winter as a slave. Life at the oar was hard and cruel and maybe she should be impressed at the very simple fact that he'd managed to survive.