𝐈𝐈𝐈 ― search for the dane slayer

―♛―

CHAPTER III:

✧. ⋆ search for the dane slayer

 ⋆ search for the dane slayer

     𝕳EADS TURNED AS THEIR GROUP of both Danish and Saxon warriors came galloping into the town. Eldrid had to admit it felt strange to ride alongside the Saxons. She had to keep reminding herself she was doing this for Ragnar, to find his brother and not to gift Alfred back his best warrior. When she told her men of their new mission, it had taken them some convincing. But Ragnar had made his plea well and so they followed. Though she had heard numerous conversations about Uhtred and if he was truly innocent of killing Ragnar the Fearless. The men might not have been convinced about his innocence but they were willing to follow Ragnar, content with a new path to follow.

Ragnar had thought it best they would first visit the man responsible for his brother's enslavement. Eldrid had been unable to tell if it was because he wanted information, or because he wished to shame the king for his actions. Or both. And so they had broken up their camp near the beach and rode for Cumberland to visit king Guthred.

After a long ride they had finally reached the city walls of Eoferwic. Men and women gathered around them as they rode through the streets to the main courtyard. The palace came into their view soon enough and it seemed to be the only building with roman walls. Their party came to a halt in front of the palace. The unrest of their arrival had captured the attention of two priests, who came walking out of the hall and unto a balcony. She imagined they must have liked their place there, high above them.

"Sister Hild and company," the oldest of the two priests said. "What is your purpose?"

"We're here on the orders of Alfred of Wessex," Ragnar answered. "I want to see king Guthred."