𝐗 ― blood for blood

―♛―

CHAPTER X:

✧. ⋆ blood for blood

 ⋆ blood for blood

     𝕯UNHOLM STOOD UPON A HILL, PROUDLY OVERLOOKING THE SURROUNDING GRASSLANDS AND FOREST. It was nearly impossible to breach and a siege would take far too long and require far more supplies than they had. All of which had been pointed out by multiple people, multiple times. And yet, as Eldrid marched her men through the forest, she felt confident they would be victorious. All thanks to the one they called the Dane Slayer.

She was starting to see why Alfred valued him so greatly. For it was thanks to his strategic thinking they had managed to devise a plan to get inside the seemingly impossible fortress. Uhtred had suggested a small party of warriors would try and get inside through a gate at the west wall, used only once a day. In the early hours of the morning the women of Dunholm would step outside the gate to gather water from the spring there.

To make sure they would remain unseen, Ragnar and his army would provide a distraction. They had fashioned a battering ram from a thick tree. Ragnar was to attack the gates and try to break through, which they already knew would prove futile. The gates were far too strong. But what Kjartan wouldn't suspect, were the few warriors that would slip into his fortress and open the gates from the inside. That was, if everything went according to plan.

Eldrid had ordered Bjorn to lead their men as they helped Ragnar to attack the main gates. Among them were a few skilled archers able to provide the soldiers with cover. She herself, along with Kara and Halvard, a skilled soldier who'd been at her side from the very beginning, would join Uhtred and his men by entering the fortress using what they named the 'water gate'.

As they made their way across the rocky terrain in the darkness, Eldrid found herself walking next to Uhtred. She'd been wanting to speak with him ever since they left Winchester. Several questions had been burning at the forefront of her mind and she knew she wouldn't be able to rest easy before getting her answers.