Chapter Eight: Votes for Life

I made it back to the house in no time, in the living room was the family, huddled together to watch the tape that Allison had found

I made it back to the house in no time, in the living room was the family, huddled together to watch the tape that Allison had found. Luckily, I just arrived in time as the tape plays and everyone watches it carefully. I walk over to them, but stop at the two marble textured pillars, and lent on the first one. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Allison look at me with her gaze, though it wasn't an angry one. It was a soft, caring one as she must not be angry with me - which was a good sign.

"I mean, do you really think Mom would hurt Dad?" Vanya asks, taking her gaze to Luther.

"You haven't been home in a long time, Vanya," Luther replies to her question, locking eyes. "Maybe you don't know Grace anymore,"  I see Klaus eating his way through a bag of crisps, probably having the munchies with the drugs he's taken. Diego was staring at the tape like it was evidence and he was studying it.

"If he was poisoned, it would have shown in the coroner's report," Diego added but it sounded like he sang it a bit.

"Well, I don't need a report to tell me what I can see with my own eyes," Luther bickered back to Diego.

"Maybe all that low gravity in space messed with your vision," Diego remarked, stepping closer to the VRC and pressing the button on it, as the tape on the screen began to rewind. "Look closer," he spoke, lifting his finger from the button as it plays once again. "Dad has his monocle. Mom stands up. Monocle's gone," Diego turns around and heads over to the table behind the couch. As the video played out as it should and showed us all that the monocle was gone.

"Oh, yeah!" Klaus announces with a chuckle.

"She wasn't poisoning him. She was... taking it. To clean it," Diego spoke as he stopped at the table and leaned on it. One of his knives in his right hand.

"Then where is it?" Luther asks, as he switches off the TV and turns around to face Diego. "No, I've searched the house, including all her things. She doesn't have it," Luther explained, but I see Diego out of the corner of my eye, looking down sort of guilty - maybe?

"That's because I took it from her," he began, lifting his knife up slightly, gesturing a raised hand. I see everyone come alive and alert as they turn to face him, but I just shook my head. "After the funeral," he added, but I should have guessed it was him.

"You've had the monocle this whole time?" Allison asks, her tone in disbelief. "What the hell, Diego?"

"Give it to me," Luther spoke at the back end of Allison's, his voice raised and demanding.

"I threw it away," Diego replied calmly like it wasn't a big deal.

"You what?" Luther was baiting his tongue as he was angry at him. I hear Allison scoff and raise a glass to her lips, taking a drink.

"Look, I knew that if you found it on Mom, you'd lose your shit, just like you're doing right now," Diego spoke as he stopped leaning from the table, and pointed his knife at Luther.