𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓣𝓮𝓷

Start from the beginning

   Now the inky space glowed with only a single lit wax candle that appeared to be floating midair considering the gloomy atmosphere.

   I sat there waiting anxiously for a voice to speak or a hint of movement besides my own heart pounding in my chest like a drum.

   What almost seemed like forever, the unknown being finally removed themselves from their previous position, and turned right with the candle.

   Out of nowhere, a match was lit using the candle's ghastly flame and one at a time, another candle was lit to provide a sense of a chapter beginning.

   As the creature circumferenced the room, I noticed with every second another one glowed, my unrevealed discovery was now made visible.

   The various items that were spread sporadically all around the extent of my presence were...bones...and not just any bones; human bones! Ranging from skulls, ribs, femurs, pelvises, sternums, vertebras, and many more!

   Perplexed and frightened, I gasped, "Oh...my..."

   "Are you really that surprised Henry?" A familiar voice snickered. "I thought you were wiser than that!"

   Although I shouldn't have been that flabbergasted by her precipitous comment, I still stumbled on finding the right words to reply with.

   "I...I don't understand!"

   "Hmm...you should," Lucille teased me as she stood hovering over me, with her face only illuminated by the dozen candles, which caused a chill to run down my spine.

   "So you just...killed people and left their remains here?" I hesitantly asked hoping that my statement wasn't true. That this was just another nightmare.

   She gently placed the waxy candle on the shelf with the others that surrounded the border of the room, causing the shadows on her face to shift.

   "Well Henry, you are partly correct. These are human bones," she carefully walked around so she could face me as I sat huddled with my knees to my chest.

   "But you don't know nearly half the story."

   "I know for a fact that you're a witch! You sure can't deny that, can you?" I uttered mustering up all the confidence I had left.

   "There's the intelligent Henry I know! Cowardliness was never a pleasing color on you," she cackled, amused at her own joke.

   "So..I'm right?"

   "Oh yes, you're very much correct. I'm indeed a witch, but let me tell you how all this began," she gestured to all the bones that I imagined were once innocent victims.

   I glowered coldly at her black heart as she began her little tale.

   "It all started in 1692, here in Salem, when a group of girls were accused of being possessed by the Devil, which later led to others also being convicted of witchcraft. Including my great great grandparents John and Elizabeth Proctor. You may know this tragic event as the Salem Witch Trials."

   I nodded subconsciously. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. If she was related to these folks, then she must be over a hundred years old, which isn't surprising considering her nasty appearance.

   "Ah...very good," she commented, seemingly impressed by my knowledge. "You see, the court did everything they could to try to piece back the lives together of the ones they lost, but little did they know, nothing could heal their wounds. So many innocent lives stolen just because of hearsay! I get worked up every time it is brought up!"

   "I understand what they did was cruel and wrong, but that was so long ago. In fact over a century. The only way to bring peace to yourself is to move on," I attempted to advise her, praying she wasn't as insane as she perceived to be.

   "Oh you're so funny Henry! Truly you are!" She chortled. "I'm not doing all of this to please me. I'm doing this to avenge all the lives that were robbed of a future!"

   "So...all these...bones are just random people...like myself?"

   "Correct! For as long as I've been alive, I've lured travelers, such as yourself into my home pretending that I'm taking care of them and..."

   "You poison them to death," I interrupted her.

   "Not always. It depends on my victim. Burly men and dainty women are not exactly the same recipe."

   "Let me get this straight," I concentrated, pulling my eyebrows together. "Even though these people and myself had nothing to do with the witch trials, you just...kill them anyway?"

   "Precisely. I don't expect you to fully understand my method since you're not from around here, but everyone in this village and towns beyond, has either forgotten, ignored, or has made fun of the tragedy that occurred here and I'm sick of them getting to prance around free mocking my ancestors! Enough is enough!" She shouted boiling in her own fury.

   "I'm so sorry Lucille. I truly am," I attempted to calm her grieving soul.

   "Don't think you can talk me out of my ways Henry! You did try to escape didn't you?"

   "I...I'm sorry..."

   "Save it you rich, ungrateful snob!"

   I knew nothing I said now would change my fate. I was doomed from the moment I helped her out in the middle of the road. My Mother always said don't talk to strangers. I wish I took her advice. It's kind of silly to think that an old hag, not forgetting that she is a witch, could even possess the power to override folks like myself and others. Human beings can be so naive sometimes. I hope in the end, that whatever satisfaction this torture brings to her ill and tormented soul, that she will find peace somewhere else than here on Earth.

   Oh my! I almost forgot my dear, sweet Anastasia! Oh, how I'm going to miss her enchanting smile and the way she sings to me in the morning. I'll love you forever and ever my love!

   As I sat there, semi peacefully in a ball awaiting my death, I happened to remember one thing that I have been dying to know this whole time and couldn't leave without knowing the reason. The truth this time.

   "Lucille, why do your candles smell like French vanilla? Why not just use non scented candles?"

   A devilish smirk crept upon her face. "To keep the house free from smelling of decaying bodies of course!"

*************************************

Thank you so much again
to all of you who chose
to read, vote, and comment
on "The Smell of Death!"

I am truly grateful
for each and every one of you!

If you enjoyed this book,
I would greatly appreciate your feedback on Goodreads!

With that being said,
I'm hard at work on my next book
and I can't wait to share it with you!

Follow me on Instagram: @author_allisonk