𝓒𝓱𝓪𝓹𝓽𝓮𝓻 𝓣𝓮𝓷

Anastasia glided down the aisle in the most exquisite white gown with lace trim and her luscious, blonde curls fastened up into a complex updo. As her tender hands clutched the bouquet of calla lilies, I pondered in my head, how a man like myself, could ever have been so lucky to capture the heart of this angelic being?

   Only now a few steps away from me at the altar, she smiled those pearly whites as she took my nervous hand.

   Then the eager and warm-hearted priest turned towards Anastasia and began:

"Do you take Henry Pickford
as your lawful husband,
to have and to hold,
from this day forward,
for better or for worse,
for richer or for poorer,
in sickness and in health,
to love and cherish
until death do you part?"

   I stood there with my heart pounding in my throat, waiting for her to say "I do," when her physique suddenly transformed into a crippled, old hag in a torn, bloodstained gown, with frizzy, gray hair, claw-like nails, and a massive, hairy mole above her cracked lips.

   This couldn't be my love? One second she was an angel and now she is a wicked, feeble creature.

   Pleased by my dismay, she finally replied, "You will pay Henry! You will pay...for everything!"

   "No!" I screamed as I woke up from the terrifying nightmare, gasping on the cold, wood floor. Was this vision real? If not, is Anastasia even safe?

   As I lied there trying to gather my disoriented thoughts, I realized that I was located nowhere near where I previously was.

   The last thing I can recall was fumbling with the front door so close to my freedom, I could almost smell it, when Lucille entered the room enraged from my disobedience. Everything after that is foggy.

   "Where am I?" I rolled over on my right side, then pushed myself up to a seated position.

   Once again, this mysterious place or room I should say, smelt of French vanilla more pungent than ever before, but that wasn't the only thing that was peculiar.

   Unlike the other rooms throughout the neglected house, there was at least one window. Here, there was no source of natural light to at least prove that a world still existed beyond these horrific walls. Now, only a chilly draft hugged my desolate and nervous body.

   My eyes, I pictured bloodshot, continued to struggle to readjust to the black territory, as I maneuvered around trying to find something to grab on to. A table or a chair would be perfect to help me get back on my feet.

   All of a sudden, my clammy hands brushed over something round and hard.

   "What?" I muttered puzzled as I felt around some more for any other objects such as the one I came across.

   "No...this can't be possible," trembling in disbelief. "I'm surrounded!"

   These items, both round and large or small and slim were everywhere!

   Something in my gut told me that this unknown discovery was not a sign of safety or peace, but rather a warning signal that evil possibly lingered near.

   Taken aback, I scooched backwards on my bottom, until my spine hit a gravelly wall.

   "Ouch!" I echoed as I rubbed my sore back, breathing heavily like I just ran two miles.

   "What am I going to do? I just can't stay here. Was this Lucille's plan all along to isolate and poison me to death?"

   My self talk was abruptly cut short, when I felt the presence of another being enter the room, with what you want to know...a...candle.