Chapter 40

A/N: It's late again, but good news: I've planned out up to chapter 53, so in theory, I won't have to worry about what to write, just more of me finding the time to write it out, lol. Someone asked in the conversations, but I'm going to say this book has about/up to twenty chapters more. Given what's going on in chapter 53, I think that's a fair estimate. There are a few plot pieces that I want to include but I may cut out, so they may end up being deleted scenes that I'll end up writing after the epilogue. 

Anyways, enjoy, and let me know what you think! I'll try posting the next chapter soon since this chapter is a bit shorter.

Chapter 40

Vince's POV

Sleeping on the cot was like sleeping on a cloud compared to sleeping in the bar. Damn Chase left me there passed out like the terrible friend he was, and now I had to deal with this awful kink in my neck and lower back. I probably would've slept right through the council meeting too if Xavier hadn't come in and found me, surprisingly in a good mood. I guess Simon hadn't told him what happened last night.

"You seem happy this morning," I blinked, my eyes adjusting from the light rolling in through the window.

"I managed to make pancakes this morning," he grinned before pointing at his chest. "By myself."

"A storm is brewing."

He slapped my arm. "Stop, this is probably one of my proudest moments, you jerk."

I rolled my eyes before heading to my room to wash up before the meeting. From the corner of my eyes, I noticed the bed was made, only his bags remained in the same spot on the floor near the couch. I was almost certain he'd go back to living with Aspen and Sarah again, especially after yesterday.

As I washed my face, I couldn't help but look at the bottle of suppressants on the counter. The pills were large on their own, nearly double what Sarah used to take. And to think for years I thought this would be the answer. Just suppress everything, ignore all that has happened. And remembering my conversation with Chase, I wondered what it would be like to just get rid of them entirely. If I hadn't convinced myself to use this if I wasn't dependent on such useless pills would things have turned out differently? Would I have been able to tell him everything?

Gripping the bottle tighter, I could feel the plastic give way, as I felt anger flow through me. Angry at myself. At these damn pills, the things that had happened. Even my father.

And to think Simon had gone this long feeling everything, no pills to cover it up, to make it better. What was I even thinking?

With the bottle still in my clenched hand, I glanced at my reflection before throwing it angrily into the trash can. I stared at it for a few seconds before storming out of the bathroom before I could change my mind. I ran a hand through my hair before walking into the hallway.

A few members brushed past me when I saw Michael near the window across the room on his phone. He was facing the other way so I stuck around, walking slower, trying to catch who he was talking to.

I could barely make out him saying, "don't worry, love. Everything's going swell."

Michael was always fond of pet names, but I wasn't entirely sure who he'd be calling. I slipped into the room, and just as the door closed, I could hear him say softly, "We'll talk more soon, dear. Have patience, our time will come."

His words left a chill down my spine but I brushed it aside, looking for a seat. Simon and Xavier were already seated, near Michael's seat, Simon completely engrossed in his phone. I don't think he even knew I walked in, but Xavier gestured to the seat next to him, his cheery mood still plastered on his goofy face. I rolled my eyes and took a seat further away from them, probably for the better, anyways.