Chapter 42

A/N: Wow another update ;) Make sure to read the previous update(s) if you haven't already. The next few chapters will be a lot heavier and a lot of angst, but I'll try to incorporate some happier scenes throughout. I'm looking forward to writing Vince's chapters now lol. Enjoy, and don't forget to vote, comment, follow, etc. 

Warning: Panic attack

Chapter 42

Simon's POV

I felt like a hypocrite. I ignored Vince the past few days since our argument, even when he walked into the room to grab something or use the bathroom. I was still frustrated that he'd still think Michael had it out for me, but I had been more upset at myself. I hadn't even tried to hear him out and understand his reasoning. And that was exactly how Vince had treated me when I had been kicked out.

It was petty, and now that I thought about it, I realized this wasn't going to help our situation.

And yet, even after going through the trouble of finding out through Sarah his favorite breakfast and coffee, everything bagel and a latte with extra espresso, I hesitated to open the council room door. But determined to at least apologize, I knocked twice before steeling my nerves and opening the door.

Only to find Vince completely out cold, his computer and papers still out. Wadded up papers were strewn all over the table and some on the ground while a half-eaten granola bar sat next to his arm. I set the food down, along with the coffee, tempted to wake him up to eat, but I wasn't sure if this had been the first time he had slept in a while. He hadn't been kidding with the amount of work he had either. A whole stack of papers sat next to the computer, stamped with the pack's insignia, along with his signature. He must've spent all night working on those, along with the letters it seemed he was writing. His arm blocked most of the writing, but it appeared to say: Dear S.

I wasn't sure what Michael would need Vince to write hand-written letters for, but it seemed Vince had attempted it at least thirty times by the looks of the wads of paper.

He looked at ease when he was asleep like this, a stark contrast to the other night, where he seemed so frantic to get me to believe those wild accusations. His features were relaxed, his cheeks puffed out a little from being pressed against the table, while his hair stuck out awkwardly. I resisted the urge to fix it, scared that I'd wake him. But a part of me wanted so badly to run my fingers through it or even hold his extended hand in my own, knowing that he would never allow it while he was awake. But if he could sleep through it, not even know, it was all so tempting. But I knew better, instead, grabbing the pen next to him and a piece of paper.

I wrote him a note, don't forget to eat, before placing it on his keyboard before stepping out. As I walked down the steps, I pulled out my phone to call Xavier.

He picked up on the second ring. "Hey, what's up? Everything okay?"

"Meet me at my house," I told him.

He paused before stumbling over his words, "uh, your...you sure?"

"Yeah, I'm sure," I told him as I stepped out of the packhouse. The sky was clear today, barely a cloud in sight, and thinking about going back there now just seemed right. "I think it's time I see them."

I could hear Xavier nearly drop his phone and then apologize, and I couldn't help but laugh. Out of the two of us, he seemed more flustered than me about visiting my childhood home. I could see why he'd turn down the alpha role if he was offered it; such a clumsy and a nervous wreck.

---

"Thank you for coming," I told him as we stood outside the fence, looking at the home's porch. The rocking chair and a fresh bouquet staged like last time, everything still spick and span. The yard still upholding the freshly mowed look, while the flower bushes in my mother's planter trough are still growing strong.