Chapter Eight: Revelations

Comenzar desde el principio

"What about the tattoos?" He enquired.

Instinctively, I turned to Takeo who had likely seen a tattoo or two since he was Japanese.

"Irezumi", he replied to Dempsey.

"Ira-what?" He replied ignorantly causing Takeo to roll his eyes.

"The art of tattooing is something long cherished by my ancestors", Takeo began.

"Oh, here we go another story about his ancestors", Nikolai said dryly.

I, on the other hand, was intent on hearing more and urged him to continue. I loved Japanese culture after all. We spent the night listening to Takeo tell us stories of his many ancestors and how some were even samurais and shoguns. He told me about how both his father and mother proudly wore their ink, even when tattooing became taboo and associated with Yakuza.

After a couple of hours, Dempsey got up and announced we were on night watch. I said goodbye to Takeo and Nikolai and we proceeded outside into the crisp air. We assumed our roles in a makeshift guard post the men were using. Two blankets were waiting for us as we sat down; with Dempsey picking up the M16 which was left stationed. I was not thrilled being left alone with Dempsey but he was a better choice than the doctor, that was for sure.

"So, uh, you have a boyfriend or something?" Dempsey asked rubbing the back of his neck.

"Wow", I replied bluntly.

"You're to the point I see", I continued as I let out a small laugh.

"No-- no, I didn't mean to--", Dempsey began blushing.

He was not as smooth as he thought and I was sure he was wondering why he was not getting the girl just as he had imagined.

"Well, to answer your question, I don't", I finally replied.

Dempsey perked up at the news before I continued.

"You're not my type, I'm afraid", I said whilst trying to be light hearted and shot him a wink.

Last thing I wanted was to be in a relationship with a fictional character. Real men were bad enough.

"Pfft, and who is then? Nikolai?" Dempsey laughed.

"Oh, definitely, it's the stench of vodka that got me", I replied with my dry sense of humour.

We both laughed before Dempsey suddenly became very serious.

"It's not the doc, is it?" Dempsey was no longer joking.

I picked up on his uneasiness and reassured him that a mass murderer definitely was not my type either.

"I don't like the way he looks at you", Dempsey blurted out.

I was taken aback.

"What do you mean?" I eagerly enquired.

"Kiana, the man probably hasn't had any chicks. He's probably even a virgin", Dempsey paused, amused at the thought.

"But he's still a man. There's no law and order; it's just the five of us out here and he probably thinks this is a good opportunity to have his way with the only female we've met since all this began", Dempsey said factually.

Richtofen was weird, that was for sure but I could never see him liking anyone let alone me. And I did not think it was possible for him to like anyone romantically. Plus, I was pretty sure that human interaction was not high on his list of priorities, even if he was still a man at the end of the day.

"Oh, for goodness sake, Dempsey. You're being ridiculous", I waved away the suggestion.

Dempsey sat up and knelt in front of me.

"Look, Kiana. I'm telling you I've seen the way he looks at you. He still has urges just like the rest of us. I can keep you safe if you just let me", Dempsey was now leaning closer to me and it was clear he wanted to embrace.

"I mean, shit, I barely know you but I want to protect you", he continued.

"I'm not daft, Dempsey. I'm not some female waiting to be claimed. I get you and Richtofen clash and that's mainly due to both your colossal egos", I said as Dempsey frowned.

"Gee, thanks", Dempsey retorted, deflated.

"Look, I'm a big girl. Where I'm from, women are more independent."

"And where exactly are you from?" Dempsey snapped, trying to catch me out.

"I thought your memory was fuzzy?" He added.

I knew I had been caught out and I let out a sigh.

"Look, Tank. I don't know how any of it is possible but I suppose I'll just tell you. I'm not from this time, or this universe. I'm from way in the future--", I stated before Dempsey interrupted,

"How far in the future, exactly?!" He frowned.

I braced myself for his response before I said "2020". Right on cue, Dempsey looked away unable to believe what he was hearing but he regained composure remarkably fast.

"That explains why you look different from normal women", he replied.

"Wow, thanks the compliments keep on coming don't they?" I said dryly after thinking about Richtofen's comment earlier.

"I don't mean it like that!" Dempsey replied defensively - carrying out damage control.

I laughed because I imagine I did look very strange. There was quite a gap between our times so there was a bit of a culture shock, I suppose. Then, before I realised, Dempsey was already hugging me. I could feel his stubble jagging my face as he held onto me for dear life.

"It's fine, Tank, really", I blurted out.

He really was a big softy and I knew his heart was in the right place.

"Just promise me you'll stay away from Richtofen", Dempsey demanded, now looking into my eyes having pulled back.

"Not a problem, but he's the one who seeks me out", I protested.

"We're all here to look out for you, Kiana", Dempsey's words were clearly heartfelt.

"Even Nikolai?" I replied jokingly earning a chuckle from Dempsey.

"Yeah, even Smelly", he said as we both laughed.

The rest of the night Dempsey kept watch whilst nursing his M16. He let me rest huddled in the blankets as he kept watch.

End of part eight...