27. Meeting the Cullens

After making lunch for Billy and Jacob, I said my goodbyes and drove home in the Rabbit where I found Dad alone in the kitchen cleaning his guns.

"Hey Dad. Where's Bella?"

He glanced warily at me. "She got a job at Newton's. Why?"

I was surprised. I didn't know she had gotten a job. "Oh, I was thinking about talking to her maybe."

"Are you going to smooth things over with her?" He asked and set down a polishing rag.

I shrugged. "We'll see."

I didn't end up seeing Bella until late that evening and before I could talk myself out of it I confronted her.

"Bella, can we talk?"

She froze at the bottom of the stairs, and I stood looking down from the top. She flicked her eyes to her bedroom where I knew Edward would be soon. I snapped my fingers in front of her. "And not in there."

Bella nodded and walked up the stairs to my level. "What?"

My mind went blank. All the words I had thought of saying to her were gone. "Umm."

"Why hasn't Jacob called me?"

I huffed. "He's busy."

"But he could still call me?"

"Bella, if you so desperately wanted to see him you could drive down there and talk in person. He isn't interested right now." I frowned.

Bella shook her head. "I can't go down there. Edward thinks the pack is dangerous."

My lip curled. "And you just let that happen? If you really wanted to go you could." I had no idea why I was encouraging her to go down to La Push. I didn't enjoy it when she hung around the pack but I didn't think she should just go along with the bloodsucker.

"I don't want to hurt him." Bella said softly.

"Who? Deadward? I don't think he has a heart that you could hurt." I snorted.

Bella glared. "Don't say that. He cares about me and I know you don't understand that."

I crossed my arms and leaned against the wall. "No, I don't understand how a century old bloodsucker thinks that leaving you and pulling on your heart and controlling you, is caring for you."

Bella rolled her eyes. "Of course you don't. You've always hated him. From the beginning you couldn't stand him."

"No, I didn't always hate him. I was scared of him because of what he is. I knew that he could kill you with one mistake and that terrified me. I only hated him after he left you." I exclaimed.

"Why do you even care? You don't even like me."

"Because you're my sister! You're my sister and you were supposed to be my friend and all you've done since you've arrived is chase Edward! I tried to be friends but you never cared about us." I cried out and then trailed off.

"I... I'm sorry. It has just been a lot." Bella said defensively.

I pushed myself off the wall. "Bella, I missed you. For five years we barely saw each other and I missed you. And I know we've both changed a lot, but I had hoped that things would be like they used to be. We used to be close. And you betrayed that." I spoke passionately, but quietly.

Bella sighed. "I'm not changing my mind."

I frowned. "I know. But can't you care about something other than him? Think about Dad. It will crush him when he thinks you are dead."