23. Resentment and Rebuilding

After a mostly sleepless night I finally fell asleep around seven in the morning and I managed to sleep for about two hours. Unfortunately, by the time I woke up I was horrifically late for school. I groggily made my was downstairs and ate some sort of breakfast, which managed to wake me up a bit. After that I biked to school and arrived around ten thirty. I tried to sneak into my next class without being noticed, but the teacher stopped me.

"A little late to be joining us is it?" Mr. Roberts questioned.

I flushed and stifled a yawn. "I'm sorry. There was a family emergency." I didn't feel like giving any other information to him or the nosy class.

"Hmm. Take your seat." He then continued on with the lesson as I hurried to an empty desk. I promptly fell into a dose as Mr. Roberts droned on about different types of poetry. If anyone had asked me what he had talked about, I would not have been able to give them a coherent answer.

Once I was awake enough to function, which wasn't until lunch break, my thoughts turned to my irritating sister. I glared so hard at the empty Cullen table that someone even asked me what was wrong. I snapped at the guy that it was none of his business and he scurried away to another table. After that quite a few looks were sent my way, but no one else bothered me. I spent the rest of the day like a pot that was about to boil over. I couldn't ever remember feeling this angry before and I didn't like it, which made me more upset.

Any and Thalia avoided me after I glared a little too hard in their direction. We were not great friends, and over the last few months, our interactions had lessened to the point where we barely talked, just sat together.

By the time school ended I was more than ready to leave. I threw my backpack over my shoulder and biked the fifteen minutes to our empty home.

Bella, of course, was gone to rescue the century old, dead, bloodsucking, ice sculpture who had left her to fall into a pit of depression. I grew angry again just thinking about it.

And Dad was down at the station doing what he knew best to try and drown his emotions and work out a solution. On top of his best friend dying, his daughter ran away.

I glared at the wall for about a minute then gave up. After a small meal I curled up on the couch with a blanket and eventually fell asleep.

I awoke the next morning with a sour taste in my mouth, a sore neck from sleeping on the couch, and a bad mood. Dad was gone again so my Saturday looked lonely. A call to Billy told me that Jacob was out chasing the red head vamp and likely wouldn't be back for a while.

And so I was alone.

With a permanent frown plastered on my face.

I tried to do homework but I couldn't focus.

I cleaned up the kitchen and then broke a glass.

I went outside, but then it started pouring.

All day long I felt trapped in a slow and endless cycle of confusion and frustration. That evening, I was still alone but I couldn't take the silence anymore. It was still pouring outside but I couldn't stay in the house any longer.

I paced by the front door and then stared out the window. The little red Rabbit was parked outside from when Jacob had brought it here last time. He had left it there and then ran to his house. More than anything I wanted to talk to someone, and preferably that someone was him. But he was probably running up in Canada somewhere.

In a second I made my decision. I grabbed the keys and dashed out to the car. It was getting dark and raining, so I drove carefully, but before I knew it I was stopped in front of a house that I hadn't been to in a long while. I tossed the keys on the dash and got out and scurried over to the door to knock.