35. Conversation

It was strange that after such a traumatizing and exhausting day, I was unable to sleep. I sat against Jacob's bed, listening to him breath. The morphine drip was gone in short time and he soon began to move about uncomfortably.

I still felt a little dizzy if I tried to stand up, so I just turned on my side and rested my arms on the bed and watched as he woke up.

Jacob furrowed his brow and groaned a bit. "This sucks."

I choked a laugh. "Yeah, it does."

He turned his head to face me. "I didn't mean to get hurt."

"Well, don't get hurt again you, you, stupid, idiotic... cheese bucket!" I croaked. I tried to stifle my tears, but a few squeezed out anyway.

Jacob was in a full body wrap with only one arm movable. He touched my face and wiped the tears away. "Cheese bucket?"

I just shook my head. "I was so scared. I thought I was going to die."

Earlier in the day, I had been in a bit of shock, and hadn't felt the full effect of fear. But now, I was feeling the fear.

"I thought you were dead. But I don't want to think about it."

I closed my eyes and leaned my head on the bed. "I just want life to be normal now."

"Agreed. In some ways, Bella being one of them and leaving will solve some problems." Jacob whispered.

True, but that didn't make it any nicer.

Jacob coughed. "When I thought you were dead, my life stopped. It was only for a second, but I thought of all the thing I wanted to do with you and that could never happen. I thought of our wedding, and our kids, and of our life together. For a second I thought it would never happen."

If my tears had been stifled before, they weren't now. I turned into a water hydrant and tears streamed down my face.

"What's wrong?" He asked gently, his voice a little pained.

I shook my head, but that caused a headache to begin. "Nothing. I don't know why I'm crying."

Jacob laughed softly. "It'll be fine though. I'll get better, we'll grow up a bit, I'll marry you, and we'll have six kids and they'll be the best ever."

"Six? That might be pushing it. Maybe four." I teased back, my smile a little watery.

"Yeah, lets hold that thought."

I leaned up and kissed him softly on the lips. "I love you Jacob Ephraim. And never forget it."

"When anyone else calls me my full name I am in trouble, but when you do it I love it." Jacob murmured.

"Mmm."

"I love how you always call me Jacob. Everyone shortens it to Jake, but I kinda like how you say it." His free hand caught mine and he played with my fingers.

"I'll say your name more often then, Jacob."

I did always call him Jacob. I liked the way it sounded and he never seemed to mind, so I just kept doing it. Now that I knew he liked it I would always feel happy when I said his name.