Haven (Part 2)

Ellie makes the first move. She shoots, but Abby already saw this coming. I watch them fight and I don't know what to do. I have Lev gripping my arm, but Abby is twice the size of Ellie.

"Lev." I whisper and crouch down to his height. I turn back and Ellie and Abby are fighting. Abby has the upper hand on Ellie, "Lev you have to let me help."

"She's not bad."

"Neither is Ellie."

"I can't lose her too." My eyes soften at Lev's words.

"And I can't lose her."

"Please, just try to save her? Everyone deserves a second chance." I know I can't, but I'd rather die trying. I nod and Lev lets go of my arm. I turn and see Abby on top of Ellie, she grabs her head and smashes it into the ground. I run and jump on Abby. The thing is, I said Ellie will have a hard time fighting, but my fight is impossible. I throw a punch at Abby, but it does nothing as she flips me around smashes me to the ground. My head spins, fire burns around me. My head goes up, then back down into the ground. This repeats, my vision slowly leaves me.

Good thing I was never afraid of death.

"Stop!" Ellie shouts, "Please." My head smashes into the ground again.

"Abby!" Lev shouts, but even then she doesn't stop, "This won't be something I could forgive!" When Lev shouts this Abby actually stops. But the damage is already done.

"Stop." Ellie whispers. Abby looks at her.

"He killed my dad. He was a firefly at Salt Lake. He was the surgeon for your operation."

"What-" Ellie starts.

"Joel. He killed my dad." Abby's voice cracks.

I feel my body drop and Abby's figure stands up. She doesn't move as Ellie crawls over to me and cradles my head. She swipes her hand along my forehead and moves my hair out of my face, "Hey Tate, come on keep your eyes open. You'll be okay." Ellie whispers in my ear as she holds my body. I see Ellie look up, "Just go. Don't ever come back to Jackson."

"What about-" Abby starts to talk but Ellie cuts her off.

"She's more important." Ellie looks back down at me and rubs her thumb along my cheek. I turn my head slowly to look at Abby.

"Don't go to Santa Barbara."

"What-"

"It's a trap for Hunters to catch people. There are no fireflies there. Even if you never considered going. Don't." Abby looks confused at me, "If you're taking him. It's his choice, but I'm protecting Lev, not you." Abby nods at me slowly.

"Thank you." She says quietly. She looks over at Lev and starts to open her mouth, but the sound of a gun shot goes off. It enters right through Abby's skull and I watch as her body falls to the ground. Lev shouts out, but I don't hear what is said as I see Ian come running up to me.

"Hey baby girl, you're okay now." Ian says softly and pulls me into a hug. Everything spins as I'm pulled up. Aster runs up behind him and joins us in the hug.

"Thank god you're okay." She breaths out. I pull away from them and turn to Lev shaking on the ground.

"I'm okay. I'm okay, just let me make sure he is."

"Tate-" Ian starts.

"He's okay." Ellie tells him and he looks over at us confused. I crawl over to Lev and hold his head in my hands.

"Lev." I whisper softly.

"She-"

"I know. I'm so sorry." Lev cries into my shoulder. I turn to see Ian and Aster looking at us. Tommy looks at Abby's body, Jesse walks up next to Aster and puts a hand on her shoulder. The burning of the Haven is in the background. This really is the end. I pull away from Lev and he looks at everyone behind me.

"Are these your people?" He asks. I nod at him slowly. He looks at our burning area. The screams and cries come back as I am becoming aware of our environment.

"We need to go Lev. I know you don't want to leave, but you can still live. I can get you somewhere safe."

"What about them?"

"We'll figure it out. Please just let me get you out of here safely." Lev nods slowly at me. He gets up and I follow suit, but the dizziness takes over and I fall back over. Lev grabs onto me to ease my impact. I hear footsteps run over to me.

"You can't run like this. Come on I got you kid." Ian whispers to me as he puts his arm under my legs and picks me up. He turns to Lev, "Can you lead us out?" Lev nods slowly at him, "Okay, lead the way." We start to run again. This time, we finally run away from the chaos. I look up at the sky and watch the smoke float into the sky. I turn my head and watch the raging fire get smaller.

Somehow in all this chaos I feel peace.

"Over here! There's some boats." Lev shouts and my body shakes from Ian's rapid footsteps. I look and Jesse is keeping close to Aster as they run, Ellie stays close to Lev in a protective stance, and Tommy follows Lev's lead.

When we get to the boats Ian sets me down so I'm laying on the boat. He gets in along with Ellie and Lev. Ellie positions me so my head is on her lap. I feel a hand grab mine and Lev looks at me with a small smile.

"I never got to say this, but I'm glad to see you again." He says softly. I smile at him softly.

After, I welcome the darkness that consumes me.