Haven (Part 1)

Lev, Yara and I are just getting back from Sunday church. We decided to spend time at my hut while their mom and mine are at their place. 

"I hope I get soldier duty." Yara tells me. She has her decision ceremony tomorrow and she's been nervous for a while.

"I'm sure you will." I tell her.

"Maybe we can go out together then?" Yara asks me with hopeful eyes.

"Maybe. Only if the elders assign you to my group." Yara looks disappointed with this answer, but she recovers quickly. We never complain when it comes to duty.

"I hope so. Then you guys can protect each other." Lily tells us. 

"Of course we will. I'll always protect the two of you. You're my people." Yara and Lev give me a smile and we go back into silence.

I'll always protect them.

When we get to the dock we're lucky there's two boats there that we can take to the other side of the island. Tommy, Ian and Ellie take one boat while I get in the other with Aster and Jesse. Jesse takes the steering while I guide him where we have to go. 

"I'm surprised Dina never fought to come with you." I tell Jesse, "Or Alaia." I say to Aster.

"Yeah... we kinda snuck out without telling them. I had to force Dina though, she's uh, she's pregnant." Jesse tells me.

"Oh, congrats." 

"Yeah. Let's just hope we're all okay... I'm really excited to be a dad. Even though it scared the shit out of me at first." 

"You'll be a good dad, don't worry." I tell him and he smiles at me. I look over and see Aster looks sad, but I don't know why. I turn back to Jesse, "does this mean you and Dina are back together."

"No. We decided it'd be best just to stay friends, but I'm gonna be there for our kid. I wouldn't leave Dina." I nod and look towards the island we're approaching. My old home. As we get closer, all I hear is gunshots and I see smoke floats into the sky. My heart pounds in my chest the closer we get to the island.

We come to a stop at the end of the island, Ian, Tommy and Ellie pull up next to us, "Well that looks welcoming." Ian mutters. I don't reply as I just watch my old home in complete and utter chaos. It was always there, but now it's a physical representation of how it always felt. 

"Just uh follow me. I'll lead you guys to the Haven."

"Just stay close. We can't lose anyone in there." Jesse says and we all nod. Too in shock to say anything. We start walking towards the Haven. I feel a body move closer to mine and I look over. My eyes connect with Ellie's forest green ones. She gives me an encouraging smile and squeeze of my hand. I return it before making my first step into battle. We go the back way in hopes of it being quieter, but the minute we step closer we are greeted with bodies and bullets flying everywhere. I take out my bow and shoot at anyone. Here, everyone is the enemy. 

"We gotta move quicker than this." I tell them and start to run while continuing through the battle cries. Everyone runs with me, guns out with only the intention to kill. We keep an eye out for Abby, but there's hundreds of men and women. I don't even feel everything around me, my only intention is keeping my people safe. My family. 

Someone comes to jump at me, but they don't make it as a bullet enters their head and I turn to see Tommy. He gives me a nod before pushing me forward. I run through the sea of bodies. Cries of pain fill my ears, but I push forward. I stop when we get in front of the village. All of the huts, the homes, they're burning to the ground. I see someone go up behind Aster, so I load my bow quickly and shoot the incoming person. Aster gives me a smile in appreciation and I grab her hand to keep moving . I keep running until I'm knocked over by a horse. My breath stops on impact and my vision blurs. I turn to my right and I can't find anyone. I push myself up and run anywhere out of the chaos. Now I'm not only looking for Abby, but my own people.