The Dance

I've never seen Ellie so, so cold. She's back to normal when she's around all of us, but it's been 3 months and anytime she see's Joel her whole demeanour changes. I see Joel quite a bit, him and Tommy being good friends with Ian, but his whole persona is so sad and lonely when he sees Ellie reject him. Ellie still doesn't talk about what happened. Everyone's just given up on asking.

Although her and Cat might not have ended the best, they're still good friends. Both never let their breakup effect the rest of us and they still hangout and joke around like they used to. Only thing is there's no more kissing and touching, which I'm sad to admit that I like. Aster volunteered Alaia and I to help set up the community dance tonight with her. Alaia and I are moving around tables while Aster helps set up the lights.

"How do you even know how to set these up?" I ask Aster as I'm moving another table out of the way.

"Eugene taught me a little bit about electrical work before he died." Aster tells me as she is still leaned over the lights working on some of the wires.

"Right." I reply as I lean up against the table next to Aster. I look around and see Cat has come in and starts talking to Alaia. They're joking around and Alaia grabs Cats shoulder to keep herself steady. I continue to watch curiously.

"You know it's creepy to stare." Aster tells me while keeping her head down at the wiring.

"I'm not staring."

"Sure."

I keep staring at them, "What's going on with them?"

Aster shrugs, "Don't know. Alaia hasn't mentioned anything." I nod and finally turn away from them and back to Aster.

"Are you sure you can get these lights to work?"

Aster sighs, "Yeah... hopefully." I nod and have a small smile on my face as I watch Aster struggle. Her eyebrows crease and I cross my arms while continuing to look, "You know you can help right?"

"I have no idea how any of that works. In Seattle we used fire for light."

"Right." Aster mutters and she keeps working. She perks up when a light flickers and soon the whole row of lights illuminate.

"Good job Aster. We really need those for tonight." Maria tells her as she makes her way over to us.

"Thanks. I'll turn them off now so they can be hung up but they should be good." Aster tells us and Maria nods.

"You girls can go now. The second set of hands just came, so they can work on hanging up the lights." Maria tells us an we nod. I give her a small smile before making my way out with Aster. We let Alaia stay there with Cat- she'll figure out that we left soon enough.

"You excited for the dance tonight?" Aster asks me as we walk back to our place.

I shrug, "Can't be any worse than the last one I'be been to." Aster nods at this comment.

I've only been in Jackson for a month now and I still haven't been to a community event. Tonights the first night with a community dance and Aster and Alaia said that I have to come. Their friend Cat also told me to come. I just started patrolling with Jesse who is yet another person who has asked me to come, so looks like I'm going.

I was lucky that Maria put me on partner patrol so early. Usually we have to sign up for patrol, go through group patrol, then partner, but Ian raved about my shooting to Maria so to shut him up Maria put me on partner patrol. Not that I'm complaining. I don't bother getting changed out of my t-shirt and jacket before heading to the dance. I still find my new clothes to be the biggest change. They're just... different.