6. What's In It For You?

Six

Erin

As Kenzie sat patiently on the couch. Erin nervously twisted her silver ring around her pinky finger.

This was supposed to be the other way around, Erin thought. I'm so pathetic.

"I can't sit here anymore watching you like this, Erin," Kenzie whispered.

"Sorry," Erin replied slowly. She looked Kenzie in the eye. The light was reflecting off of her glasses. "I'll just start from the beginning. It was 1934."

School had just ended and Erin and her best friend of thirteen years, Natasha, were on their way to visit the church. Today they were doing a food drive for the hungry and homeless. The month of May was winding down to its final days. It was warm out, Erin's favourite weather.

Natasha stretched her arms over her head. "Not too much longer 'til summer. Then no school for two whole months. Can't you just feel the excitement."

Erin smiled. "Sure can. We oughta do a lot of swimming, eh?"

"Of course. I want to practice a dive my cousin told me about." Natasha's eyes lit up as she talked. Erin loved listening to her. You could always hear the passion in her voice when she talked about her favourite things.

Soon, the two of them arrived at the church. They climbed the steps and headed into the building. The others waved when they noticed them.

Erin's heart skipped a best when she saw Walker. He was such a handsome boy. Tan skin, neatly combed light brown hair, and the most gorgeous aqua eyes in the world. Walker was easy the most beautiful boy Erin had ever seen. He only got better, he was so kind. He was funny and loved cheering Erin up.

Natasha gave Erin a knowing smile then headed further into the church to talk to their pastor about the perpetration for the food drive.

Erin sat next to Walker to help him organize some soup cans. "Afternoon," she greeted softly, not meeting his eyes. Erin was afraid that if she did, she wouldn't be able to utter a single word to him.

Walker looked at her, not dividing his attention as Erin put all the tomato cans in the left of the box. There was one missing. She started looking through the others. Mushroom, mushroom, noodle...

"Good afternoon Erin. How are you on this beautiful day?"

Erin sped up. His voice sounds like velvet, she thought to herself. Why is he looking at me?

Erin smiled softly but still didn't look at Walker, "I'm mighty fine, thank you," she replied.

"Erin!" Natasha called from the other side of the church. Erin looked up. "Can you come here?"

She nodded and turned back to Walker. "Sorry, but I've got to go. I'll see you tomorrow?"

Walker looked disappointed but nodded in understanding. "Tomorrow, of course. Wouldn't miss it for the world."

A blush rose on Erin's cheeks. It deepened when Walker took her hand and kissed her knuckles. "Goodbye," she whispered breathlessly, backing away. He waved politely.

Erin was smiling all the way to her best friend. "So why do you need me?" She asked.

"I left my five dollars at home. Will you walk with me?" Natasha asked. Natasha wouldn't walk anywhere alone, day or night. It scared the poor girl to death and Erin could never say no to her.

"Yes, you know I always will," Erin replied.

Natasha shrugged. "Some day you might not want to."