'I need a decent meal,' he yawned.

'We have no money,' K reminded him.

'But we're running out of rations,' he replied, stomach rumbling. 'We're going to have to find somewhere to go.'

'Like a refuge,' said Evie. 'Somewhere like December's Place?'

'I doubt you'll ever find a place like that here,' he replied. 'You couldn't find a place like that even if you searched the whole galaxy.'

K leant towards him. 'There's an odd looking bloke snooping around the ship,' she whispered. He turned to see a short turquoise haired man sticking his head around the door. Aldric cleared his throat but the man did not look ashamed. Instead he turned to look at them as if they were the ones who had been rude.

'I need to check your permit,' he said in a high pitched croak. He had a pointed black beard that almost touched the floor, wore a baggy crimson uniform with large black boots, and held a notebook scrawled with digits, dots and initials.

'Well?' He looked to each of them impatiently.

'It's under the control desk,' said K.

The man clambered inside and came out seconds later, carrying in his hand, an envelope.

'I got the number down,' he said. 'But I don't understand. What is it you are trading? Is this all?' He held up the letter. 'You could have sent this by a postal ship.'

Aldric looked to K. She always knew what to say.

'We didn't think that was appropriate,' she half-lied.

The man looked as if he didn't know what to do with them. He shook his head and made a strange high pitched sighing sound that made Evie jump.

'Lock up tightly,' he said hurriedly. 'Sign your names here.' He handed them the notebook. 'Wait in the persons-bay whilst we confirm your identity.'

The trio obeyed and made their way to the bay, a small shack-like building with round decorative windows filled with so many colours that it was impossible to see through them. It was some sort of waiting room, dark and candle lit, with a wooden archway linking two bare rooms.

'Please stand in front of the archway,' a neutral voice bellowed from above them. Aldric glanced up but nothing and nobody was there, just the ceiling. K moved forward and stood behind the arch. He went to follow her but the voice boomed again, 'one at a time, please.'

A panel in the chequered floor opened with a loud clack, making them all jump. A pillar rose through the floor, pushed up from beneath, stopping at the height of K's waist. She took a dubious look at it. 'Place your hand on top,' the voice echoed. K carefully laid her hand over the square-top stone pillar.

'Like this?' she asked.

'Remain still,' the voice insisted as K let out a yelp of surprise. She looked down at her hand to examine the pinprick that had been left in the centre of it.

'It's not that bad,' she reassured the other two. Her pillar was pushed back into the floor with another one simultaneously rising up next to it. Aldric reluctantly went next but refrained from making a sound when the pin jabbed through his flesh. He felt his skin pop as the pin was pulled out and took his hand back the first moment he was freed from it. Once Evie had also been through the process, they all went through the barrier together and took seats, the ones closest to the exit.

'Your identities have been verified,' said the voice before they had the chance to get comfortable. 'You are free to go. Enjoy your stay in Zace Ella.'