Chapter 8

Earth 217: Evergreen County, California

It's been a week since Hannah Baker was raped by a fellow student from her school, Liberty High. Hannah couldn't take it anymore: The slut shaming, the harassment from other boys, the rumors being spread, the betrayal from her so called friends, the rape was the final straw. Her soul had been broken, and it was at that moment she decided that no one will ever hurt her ever again. She has decided that she is going to take her own life. But before she does, she decides to record 13 tapes to explain why she took her own life, 13 people, 13 sides of the story, 13 Reason Why Hannah Baker killed herself. It's October 9th, 2017, for Tape 13, she decided to give life one last chance, Hannah went to school where she would take one last look at all students at Liberty High, one last look at Jessica Davis & Alex Standall, her former best friends, one last look at Zach Dempsey, Justin Foley, Tyler Down, Courtney Crimson, Marcus Cole, Ryan Shaver, & Sherri Holland who are all on her tapes and the reasons, one last look at her teachers, one last look at Bryce Walker, the boy who raped her, & one last look at Clay Jensen, her only friend and the boy she loves. Before she went to school she also took one last look at her parents, Olivia & Andy Baker, who were working at their pharmacy store Baker's Drugs. And now she will give life one last chance as she goes to see Kevin Porter who's a counselor at Liberty and try to tell him what happened with her & Bryce.

Hannah Baker: If tell you who did it, will you promise me that he'll go to jail, and that I won't ever have to see his face and that I won't have to face him.

Kevin Porter: I can't promise you that, Hannah. But I will promise you this, I would do everything in my power to keep you safe and protect you in this process, but I can't do that unless I know everything that happened. If you can't give me a name, if you want to press charges against this boy, if you're not even sure you can can press charges, then there really is one option.

Hannah Baker: What is it?

Kevin Porter: I'm not trying to be blunt here, Hannah, but... you can move on.

Hannah Baker: You mean, do nothing.

Kevin Porter: Is he in your class?

Hannah Baker: He's a senior.

Kevin Porter: That means he'll be gone in a few months.

Hannah Baker: Are you fucking kidding me?

Kevin Porter: Look, something happened, Hannah. And I Believe you. But if you won't confront him, then the only other choice is to move on.

Hannah Baker: Yeah. That's just what I'm going to have to do. Thank you, Mr.Porter.

Kevin Porter: Okay. There's more to talk about, other resources.

Hannah Baker: No, I think we figured it out. I need to move on and get over it.

Kevin Porter: Hannah, I didn't say get over it. But sometimes that's the only other option.

Hannah Baker: Look, you're right. I know.

Kevin Porter: Hey, Hannah, you can sit down. You don't need to be in a hurry.

Hannah Baker: I need to get on with things, Mr.Porter. If things aren't going to change, I'd better get on with it. Right?