Chapter 14: Preydator

Start from the beginning

She scratched her chin. "Well, sorta... not really."

"In Layman's terms, It's like millions and millions of tiny tiny particles working together to form shapes. That is, they follow my command. Though, there are limitations on what can be built, as long as it's something I've practiced with or seen before then I can have them form into that desired shape. They're a bit like magnets, ant colonies, Legos, or molecules working together to accomplish one task."

"I think I get it better now! Yeah!" she nodded. "Everything except the... Leg-Oh's?    So that's how you made the weapon? You just... commanded the tiny particles to form it?" 

"That's right."

"Wow, you really are from another futuristic universe then." she shook her head in amazement.  "This is just getting crazier and crazier by the minute! Never would I have imagined what you did this morning and my ears are still ringing from it."

"I'm sorry about that..."

"Oh, but those poor wolves! I still can't believe what you did to them... How could you?"

"It wasn't supposed to happen. I didn't want it to happen. But it did happen and I feel terrible." 

"But...But why? Why'd you do it?"

"Because wolves were a threat in my previous world and my helmet gave a false warning about them.  Protocol dictated my response."

"You were lucky they didn't get hurt!" 

"Right. It's a big shame for me."

"Yep, shame on you."

"And I was just trying to protect you."

"Had you come to this planet thousands of years earlier you might've done a better job protecting me because predators and prey didn't get along well back then. However, we have evolved way past that and we're a modern society now. Predators and prey currently live in harmony... in case you didn't know."

I sighed.  "... I should've known. Yesterday, I saw harmless predators in BunnyBurrows ... so there's no excuse."

"Don't worry about it. We can just move on and learn from our mistakes." 

Suddenly, the realization and guilt swept me over.  "But...  I almost shot the kid."

"Yes, what you did was terrible... ...but remember what Jay said to you: Don't look back...forgive yourself...and keep going! It could've been worse today. A LOT worse but it all worked out and we had a great time today."

I pondered her words and felt a small desire to remain positive but my mind kept going back and forth. I tried to concentrate, filter out the negativity, and realize that I ought to be grateful for what happened today. As scary as it was, things worked out much better than I had anticipated. I didn't turn into a bunny as depicted in my nightmare, I got a good workout, I enjoyed the forest, met a new family, went on a good hike, made a new friend, and tried a cherry smoothie for the first time in my life. Thus, I had to agree with her.

"We sure did."

 "Yep!" she affirmed.

"So you're not going to arrest me?"

"I can. Believe me, I thought about it... but I won't."

 "But why?"

"Because friends give each other second chances. Taking you to jail won't do anything as it will only finish the day on a bitter note. Jay wouldn't want that and neither would I."

"Same here."

"Plus, no offense Cherry, you're a bit of an alien to us. I can't just lock you up for being unfamiliar with this world. You'll learn our ways eventually."