Chapter 8: The Small Talk

Start from the beginning

Human hands?

They were pink/olive-toned and were no longer grey-colored.  I pinched one of the scars around my wrist just to be sure, but indeed, I wasn't dreaming anymore. I was still human. Thank goodness, I sighed.

Judy and Hazel continued to stand there and stare at me with their ears pointed as if they had no idea what I was about to do. 

As my anger slowly withered away, I looked down, ashamed. "I...I'm sorry. Just a bad dream."

Hazel gave a gentle smile. "It's okay... We didn't mean to bother you."

The three of us then looked at the ground to notice the large mess I had created with the shattered boxes of carrots. It felt shameful.  But, at the same time, I was just grateful that the bunny dream wasn't real despite how real it felt. Never in my life had I experienced such an exotic dream...

I fell backward onto the bed, let out a big sigh, and spread myself out like a starfish. Hopefully, I won't become one.

"So... what happened?" I kept wondering about the mess around the room, hoping something else caused it.

Hazel grinned before turning to Judy.  "Well, how should we put it?" 

"Long story short, you were sleeping like a baby koala for most of the night... until we heard some commotion coming from the garage," Judy explained.  "Hazel and I heard you from our bedroom window but we figured it was nothing. Suddenly, though, we heard our garage door open; we thought it was a burglary until we realized you were the one who opened the garage...   almost as if you were panicking."

"...So that was it?" I asked. "Nothing else happened, right?"

Judy shook her head.  "Nope. And that's not even the best part."

Hazel covered her mouth in laughter. "Should I tell him?"

I quickly looked back and forth between both of them. "Tell me what?"

"Basically, you grabbed one of the carrot boxes by the bedside," Judy continued. "Well, actually you grabbed all of them at once. Hazel and I stood by the doorway and watched everything unfold.  And that's when you-

"Okay, I'm telling him!" Hazel eagerly chimed in. "So while you were sleep-walking, you lifted the crates all high and mightily above your head like a rhino bench presser until suddenly... you smashed all of them on your head!  Haha! All at once! It was the most hilarious thing ever! You were like, 'Oh, look at me, I'm not a bunny! I'm not a bunny!" she mimicked my voice with hers, "and then you were like, 'SMASH!' she clapped her paws together. "And then you fell over flat on your face like this!" she reenacted the entire scene with exaggeration. "And guess what? You grabbed even more crates outside the garage and jammed your face into them like a giant piece of birthday cake! Do you know how much those things weigh?   Over fifty pounds, silly! Ohhh, it was hilarious! You literally smashed your face into them like it was nothing!  I'm sooo glad I made it over here in time! Haha! Sorry Cherry, but you would've rolled on the floor in laughter, too! If it weren't for Jude, I would've uploaded it on ZooTube in a heartbeat.  Oh, and it would've been a HUGE hit! In fact, I'm still considering it!"

"Hazel, please don't," Judy said sternly. "You've already posted seven videos this week."

"I know, I know!" she giggled with understanding.  "But, it's just... it was hilarious! Like, you have no idea how much I was rolling on the floor last night!"

"Argh..." I facepalmed. "Did that really happen?"

"Yep. Pretty sure it did," Judy firmly stated with a confident smile. "Plus, it's not like there are other animal suspects around here who fit your description. Unfortunately, the story checks out. I was there."