030 ::: Never Hug

Start from the beginning

My bottom lip found its way between my teeth. I turned away from him, back to staring out the window. There wasn't even any point in trying, he wasn't going to change his mind. Once Xaler had his mind on something he wasn't stopping until it was accomplished. This much I knew after being with him for this long. He was stubborn as hell.

Being too caught up in my thoughts, I didn't realize our trip was coming to an end. The once vibrant green grass and lush tres have faded into hardened, arid dirt and deteriorating buildings in desperate need of attention that would never be given regardless if we wanted to or not.

No more were the pristine sidewalks and glamorous buildings with sparkling fountains placed deliberately and expertly in front. It was now replaced with graffiti marking any and every space available. People with sullen and sunken cheeks littered the streets marked with dirt and grime as they wandered from garbage can to garbage can in a last-ditch attempt for any source of food and sustenance. The anguish and pure sadness a permanent etch upon their still beautiful faces.

Misery.

It could be sensed; tasted, touched, felt. It lingered in the air as a putrid smell that burned itself on the inside of your nostrils. No matter what was done, the smell would never be removed from your nose, it was forever. It faded a bit as I had been living somewhere else, but it was still faintly there anytime I breathed in.

I could see that our arrival to the slums was already getting to Xaler as he shifted uncomfortably in his seat, trying, but failing, to subtly hold his hand in front of his nose in a thinly veiled attempt to block the horrific smell of the community where I am from. The scent was stained into my skin, I'm surprised he was even able to be around me at all. He fully turned his head away from me almost as if he didn't want to offend me by his reaction.

I shrugged my shoulders. It wasn't going to offend me. This was my home and as for the smell, he truly had no one to blame but himself and his kind.

"My King," the driver up front called out as he slowed the car to a stop, "you have reached your destination."

The driver exited the car and walked back to the trunk and began to pull our bags out. Xaler scanned the area before him and I almost thought that in that moment he was going to change his mind and demand for the driver to take us back.

To my unpleasant surprise, he made no such move and instead turned back towards me. I watched him intently, waiting for his next move.

"Are you ready?" I asked after I couldn't take the silence anymore.

My hand reached for the door handle, but his came down on my forearm stopping me from continuing my exit.

"I just want to make a few things known to you before we leave this car," he pointed his hard gaze at me.

I nodded for him to continue.

He turned his body further towards me and shifted closer, "you are to be at the house by 9 PM every night. That is where you will sleep, eat, shower, everything. This is not a vacation for you to stay with your family 24/7." His eyebrows raised up silently asking me if I understood.

Without even waiting for any kind of response, he continued on. "You must tell me where you are going every time to step one foot out that door. What I say goes, Rosie. This isn't like back home where you are safe, I don't want any of your bullshit. Don't make me repeat anything to you twice. There will be times when I need to return to complete my work, but most I will be doing from here."

He stared at me for a beat before asking, "understood?"

I felt like a child being reprimanded. My voice unable to make an appearance, I nodded to indicate my comprehension.

Xaler gave me a curt nod before releasing my arm and making his way out of the car. As soon as I stepped out and stood to my full height, there was a small group of people waiting off to the side.

But these weren't just any people; it was my family. My eyes drunk them in like an alcoholic fresh out of an unsuccessful rehab, shifting between each one of them as the group thinned out into a line.

It wasn't until the last person was revealed that my breathing hitched and my jaw fell open.

"Callum," I breathed.

My best friend. My very best friend in the entire world stood before me. There was a point where I wasn't sure if I wo9uld ever see him again. His chestnut skin and light brown shaggy hair that fell over his deep honey-colored eyes - the same eyes that constantly held an essence of mirth, even when he was angry he still seemed to be smiling and happy. It was all because of his eyes.

And there he stood.

Right before me, a mere ten feet away, hands stuffed in his pockets, not looking a day older yet looking a lifetime different. I guess perspective changes when you believe you'll never see someone again.

Finally, as if a dam broke, I took a sharp breath in, "Cal," I breathed again, though louder.

I started taking a step towards him, but it instantly turned into a sprint and I rushed towards his open arms, jumping into familiarity once I was close enough. Tears from my eyes dampened his shirt, "Cal." He gathered me up and spun me around as I cried.

My crying onto his shoulder was short-lived. His warm arms that had been wrapped around me were ripped away in seconds. I fell with a hard thump onto the even harder ground. A treacherous growl pierced the air and I looked up just in time to see Xaler effortlessly tossing Callum across the way.

He stood protectively in front of me for a moment before turning his angry eyes on me, "one more thing, no one, touches you, especially if they are male." He brought his lips closer to my ear using a whisper for privacy.

"You are mine, Rosie. It's best you remember that."

Discussion:

1. Do you think Xaler will last the 6 months?

2. How do you think Rizzo will react?

3. What is your biggest fear?