𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 7: 𝐈𝐧 𝐑𝐞𝐚𝐥 𝐋𝐢𝐟𝐞, 𝐃𝐢𝐩𝐬𝐡𝐢𝐭

Start from the beginning

" Pretty," she whispered. Her cheeks became extra rosy when she saw Mike standing behind her. "Good," she added.

C.B//W.B

"Okay, remember, if anyone sees us, look sad." Mike was barreling down the hallway.

"Not gonna take much effort," Caroline muttered, "Considering we found my brother's body a couple nights ago."

"Attention students, there will be an assembly to honor Will Byers in the gymnasium now. Do not go to fourth period." The principal's voice rang over the intercom.

The kids looked at each other and then started running to the AV room.

The second they reached the door, Mike desperately pulled the handle. "It's locked."

"What?"

Dustin turned to Eleven. "Hey, do you think you can open it? With your powers?"

"Boys?"

Goddammit.

Caroline's stomach dropped and she whirled around until she was face-to-face with her science teacher, Mr.Clarke. His mustache covered his dimples and he had his usual cheery look, although it was definitely muted this morning.

"Hey," Lucas said awkwardly.

"Assembly's about to start," He said, looking them over. Caroline desperately tried to look unsuspicious.

"We know," Mike said. He looked at the ground. "We're just, you know..."

"Upset," Lucas said from behind him with an awkward smile. His face quickly dropped when he realized his mistake.

"Yeah, definitely upset," Dustin said, trying to cover for him.

"We need some alone time," Caroline said, trying to look miserable, which wasn't hard.

"To... cry." Dustin said uncertainly.

"Yeah, listen..." Mr.Clarke sighed and looked straight at Caroline, who felt a lump grow in her throat. "I get it. I do. I know how hard this is, but let's just be there for Will, huh? And then..."

Mr. Clarke tossed the keys to the AV club to Mike.

"The Heathkit is all yours for the rest of the day. What do you say?"

His attention turned to Eleven, whom he obviously had never see before. "I don't believe we've met. What's your name?"

"Eleven-" She started to say before Mike cut her off. Caroline mentally facepalmed.

"Eleanor!" Mike blurted. "She's my, uh-"

"Cousin-" Lucas suggested.

"Second cousin," Dustin piped in, holding up two fingers like Mr.Clarke needed clarification.

"She's here for Will's funeral," Caroline said quietly. Then, in a sudden act of desperation, she grabbed El's hand. The boys stared at her and Eleven looked so confused and honored that Caroline knew she couldn't go back now.

Mr. Clarke stared at their clasped hands, clearly sold. "Ah, well, welcome to Hawkins Middle, Eleanor. I wish you were here under better circumstances."

"Thank you," Eleven said. Caroline was proud that she remembered the manners they had taught her earlier.

"Uh, where are you from exactly?"

Caroline's eyes widened and she silently prayed that Eleven would have some common sense...

Naturally, she was let down, because the universe was a bitch.