THIRTEEN

Chapter 13: The Dinner.

Ezra Rivera

Its April 9th 2014.

My father and mother have gone out to dinner, leaving my 13-year-old self and my 8-year-old sister at our neighbor's house, Mrs. Sattar is good friends with mom and they work together. The best part is my best friend happens to be her son. I'm happy with this arrangement.

It means I get to spend more time with my best friend and even have a sleepover. My parents told Aunt Sattar that they would be out until late, they did that sometimes, those times were the best.

Illiana was as happy as I was, that she would get to spend time with me. She likes to follow me and Amir around everywhere when she gets the chance, sometimes it gets annoying as it means we have to babysit her and you can't do a lot of fun things if you're stuck babysitting. Today I didn't mind though.

"Eshra, Eshra, Eshra do you think aunthy sathar will gimme exshra cookies?" Lia asked me. I found her lisp very amusing as she failed to pronounce simple letters like t and z.

Nodding in response to her question, she jumped and cheered in joy resulting in my arm that was in her grasp swinging all over the place in sync with her movement. As soon as we entered the Sattar house Lia immediately let go of my hand and ran towards the kitchen were Amir's mom is most likely to be.

I made my way towards the backyard where I knew Amir was preparing for our activity for the evening. We had spent the whole week getting the right chemicals for our experiment. Tonight was going to be amazing. Opening the patio door, I see Amir already on the grass with a table that has a 2l bottle, a bowl, some small bottles that have the chemicals and some food coloring and some newspaper since it was definitely going to be messy.

The materials for the toothpaste experiment was ready. Finding hydrogen peroxide as a thirteen-year-old is quite difficult though. I couldn't just buy it from the local pharmacy and the school would ask too many questions. So we just borrowed it from the chem lab at school when no one was around. Yesterday there was an announcement about the missing chemical and Amir and I just giggled in the back knowing fully well that it was in his garage.

The time was 6:45 when I saw my parents' car headlights flash next door, I guess they are off. Amir and I first laid down the newspaper then put on our gloves and googles. I measure the right amounts while Amir picks out the color we'll use first. Pouring the ingredients in the bottle with the green food coloring, I carefully add the yeast before we both step back just in time to see green foam burst out of the bottle.

We watch amazed.

"Woah!" a tiny voice exclaims in wonder behind us, turning to see my baby sister there, her big crystal blue eyes staring at the foam with awe and curiosity brimming in them. she turns to me and meets my identical eyes, "Eshra did you just do that?!" she shrieks excitedly and I chuckle in amusement nodding.

"Hey! I helped!" Amir whines beside me causing the little head with brown hair to turn to my right and give him a grin, "so cool" she says and I laugh at that.

"It was, wasn't it"

"Again, again, again" Lia chants then turns to run towards the table, I grasp her wrist before she can touch anything on the table.