NINETEEN

Chapter 19: He's Okay

Rikayne Olivera

I paced up and down along the hallway. I couldn't believe what I just witnessed today.

What if I came too late?

What would've happened then?

"Sweetie calm down, he'll be alright," the lady spoke softly.

She was there at the door too. I had wondered what she was doing there as I walked up to the door from the street. And after everything, I didn't even ask for her name.

I guess that's what happens when you see the guy you like passed out on the floor. Then shortly after I called for him I heard the sirens. I looked back to only to see the older version of Ezra at the doorway being blocked by this lady.

"I guess I'm just worried" I replied to her as I walked up to where she sat.

"I'm Rikayne by the way," I told her as I held out my hand to her.

"Nice to meet you, I'm Lydia, Dax's girlfriend well was" she says rolling her eyes at the mention of Ezra's father.

*

*

5hrs ago.

"Ricky how is your boyfriend doing?" Maddie asked as we sat in the living room watching the new series good girls.

I turned to glance at her to see her eyes glued to the screen. "He's good," I replied to her question going back to watching Rio talk to Beth.

She hums, "I didn't see him at school the other day so thought he was sick," she continues and I look back at her to see her eyes still glued to the screen.

"Oh that, he had something to do, he wasn't sick," I replied even though I had no idea why he skipped school that day.

She hums in response, "I wonder what was so important he had missed school, you don't think he's in a gang do you?" she asked me and I was surprised by her question.

I paused the show because I'm taken aback by all the sudden interest in Ezra.

"Maddie what's up?" I asked fully turning my body to face her.

"Okay Ricky, Ezra showed up to school the other Monday late and when he was asked to remove his hat, there were bruises all over his face," she pauses taking a breath, "and honestly it wasn't the first time he's shown up to school with bruises that's why people think he's a gangster."

She scoots closer to me, "I'm just worried now that you're involved with him that you might be in danger, I mean the other month he came to school limping I mean what activities is he doing to get all bruised up and injured like that, what if next time whoever is doing that to him targets you?" she asks as she says all her thoughts.

A worried look on her face as she looks up at me to see what I think. I didn't know what to think and I can't say I never had the same suspicions as her.

I did wonder at a time especially that day we met with candy. But I brushed it off thinking it I could be over thinking things. I didn't know that people around me would wonder the same thing. Especially my little sister. I didn't how to respond to her questions cause truth was I didn't know him all that much.

True I liked the guy and I was interested in him but he spoke very little about himself. But still I had to reassure Maddie that Ezra wasn't a bad guy, that much I knew.