EIGHTEEN

Chapter 18: Is this the Day

Ezra Rivera

Knocking on the door disturbs the zone I was in. The knocking continues and I contemplate whether to ignore it and continue studying or find out who it is.

Father isn't here, so who could be knocking on my door.

Sighing I close the physics books, and  put on a shirt then head downstairs. I open the front door and I'm surprised to see Lydia standing there with a bruise covering her eye.

"Hi Ezra, is your Dad home?" she asks as she frantically looks behind her then back to me.

I usher her inside and close the door. "No he left hours ago, wait wasn't he with you?" I ask cause that was the excuse he told me. She nods as she looks around the house.

"Yeah he was, he's at my place unconscious" she says then mutters the last bit but I still hear it.

"What?"

"Did he-? " I trail off as I focus on the bruise on her eye and seeing my look she nods and looks away.

"He started yelling then suddenly he was punching me and then he kicked me and then I grabbed my vase and hit him now he's unconscious, I called the police but I need more evidence," she says as she goes to look under the couch.

"Evidence of what exactly?" I ask her and watch as she shuffles things on the table. I'm confused as to why she didn't stay until the police came.

"Look Ezra, I don't know if you've noticed but your Dad is an addict, to heroine, cocain and I'm pretty sure some other strong drugs," she says taking a breath. "I'm trying to find where the secret stash of drugs is so that when I say he was using drugs at the station I have them on me and he actually goes to jail since I'm sure they'll let him off for hitting me since it was first offence and all that nonsense," she explains as she looks me straight in the eye.

Grasping what she's saying I nod and I point upstairs to where I know he keeps the 'sugar' he uses. I never bothered to learn their names since I was never all that interested in knowing them. I hope what she says was true, that if they have drugs they can jail him for bieng a drug user. Send him away finally.

I'm trying to squash the hope down knowing this could be a repeat of Cara, a whole disappointment where they escape free and leave me here with him. Leave me here to suffer. 

I stay seated on the couch not wanting to be involved in the situation at all. She comes down the stairs after a while and nods in triumph.

I doubt anything is going to happen though but I'm too hopeful to tell her that. "I'm heading to the station now," she says and walks out the door.

I sigh and head back upstairs deciding I should continue studying.

*

*

It was evening when the front door opened and father walked in, dragging his feet. He looked defeated for the first time and he barely looked at me as he made his way up the stairs.

I guess they didn't jail him.

I wondered what had happened with Lydia and the police but there was no way I'd bring that up. He paused when he reached the top of the stairs and then he turned back a calculating look on his face.

I could feel my heart begin to race as I stood there waiting for what would happen next. I contemplated walking out the door, leaving this wretched house all together but I was still a minor and I had no where else I could go.

"Ezra," he called my name pausing as he descended two steps.

"Did Lydia come here today?" he asked his voice calm yet threatening.he descended another three steps

I thought about how to answer that but I guess I took too long because next thing I know, an object is flying towards my face.

I never had time to dodge before it hit me straight on my face and then I was down. I could see white spots over my head and I wondered if today would be the end of me.

I knew I shouldn't have hoped, if there was one thing that always let you down it was hope. Hope made you do foolishly things when you knew better.

"So now you trying to send me away, first your mother and sister now me?" he snarled as he walked closer to where I lay on the ground. I couldn't believe what he was saying.

"It w-wa-sn't m-my f-fault," I barely managed to speak. My vision was still blurry and I couldn't see where he stood above me.

If I was going to die, I'd rather go out knowing that I at least had courage to tell him about their death.

"Liar!" he yelled and I felt something hit my side. It went over and over until I could no longer feel the pain. Im sure there was a cracking sound heard but I couldn't feel the pain.

This is it, this is where I go. Just as my vision gave out and my breathing slowed down. I heard the door burst open.

"Ezra!" I heard a female voice yell.

And then it went black.

*

*

*
Word count : 906

Chapter 18.

I know the chapter is short but it is needed.

Who do you think that was. Do you believe Dax 'father' will get what he deserves?

Write your thoughts down in the comments.

Don't forget to vote

Happy reading
Zaria.