FOUR

Chapter 4: Soda

Ezra Rivera

Father was out today.

It was the days like this even if they were few, where I could breathe freely and move around spontaneously without taking care not to do this or that incase it triggers the sleeping demon. All he said when he left was "I'll be back later tonight" and then the front door slammed shut. I could finally be at peace and enjoy my Sunday, given it's only a few hours of freedom but I'll take what I can get.

I took a long shower and got dressed in black sweatpants and a long-sleeved t-shirt. Strolling into the kitchen, I decide to make myself a nice breakfast, composed of French toast, some baked beans and two sunny-side eggs with a cup of hot chocolate. I don't get to eat like this and the few times when I do I make sure to savor it, father doesn't know about the hot chocolate and I pray he never finds it.

After having my delicious food, I decided to do some general cleaning of the kitchen and the living room as well as my bedroom. By the time I was done with all of this it was almost noon. Not feeling hungry after my big meal in the morning I felt that I could use some fresh air and relaxation time. I went outside to the front yard and looked around taking a deep breath and exhaling slowly.

I wish everyday could be like this...well at least the weekends. Why couldn't Daxon leave like this and do only God knows what wherever he went. Gazing at the small garden that my mother planted when I was only six, I noticed that it could use some maintenance. I went up to my room and grabbed the gardening tools I kept hidden in my closet and started to work on the plants.

This garden was my mother's pride and joy besides me and my sister of course. She tended to it every weekend and when I got the opportunity such as today I try to take care of it as well. Although I'm not as frequent as she was which has resulted in some of the plants dying. While my father has clearly chosen to forget the memories of them, I chose to cherish and remember them as much and often as possible.

My mom was a very generous lady and everyone who knew her loved her. She was kind and had a heart of gold. When they were still alive, my father was a very different man from who he is now, so different that of mom saw him today she'd never recognize him, so different you'd think I'm talking about two separate men.

We used to be one big happy family

My sister was only eight when the accident happened. My mother died on impact while my sister died twenty minutes after arriving at the hospital, they really thought she'd make it. I was the only survived, with a broken arm and leg, a head injury and a fractured wrist. My father hates me for living and blames me for what happened to his sweet girls, the loves of his life.

I began moving the weeds surrounding the flowers, my fingers relishing in the feel of the soil. This was calming for me, therapeutic if you will. It also reminds me of the time mom used to make me and Illiana help her with the garden, teaching us along the way. I remember hating it and complaining about how I didn't care much about flowers so why should I help.

Now how I wished I could have that time with her again.

"So you're a gardener too huh?" the voice I've started to get accustomed to this week questions behind me. I sighed in annoyance and turned, standing up to face her. I ran my eyes over her figure noticing the tight black leggings she wore with a blue tank top. "Stalking me are you?" I said in response my eyes meeting hers.

She moved forward a few steps so she wasn't on the road but on the grass of the front yard of my house, "I was out running, I live near this neighborhood" she replied her eyebrows furrowed a little bit. I hummed in response taking a tone that I indicated I didn't believe her.

"I'm not stalking you, swear I was running and then I recognized your...your...your-

"my what?" I interrupted as she stuttered to find a word, her eyes darting away from me.

"I recognized your back," she said sheepishly, a faint hue of red coloring her cheeks as she moved her eyes to look at the floor. I chuckled at her statement, "my back?" I raised an eyebrow, surprised that that's what made her recognize me.

"Yeah, whenever we meet you mostly have your back to me," she spoke her voice low and her eyes still staring at the ground.

Before I could think it through I found myself asking her, "want to come inside?" and she jerked her head up, eyes wide and filled with disbelief. I couldn't believe myself either. Why am I asking her to come inside the house?

Before I could ponder further on what my mouth just blurted, she grins widely at me and nods dashing up the steps that lead to the front door and waits for me to pack up the tools. After I'm done, I open the door and lead her inside and into the kitchen.

"Are you thirsty?" I ask and she nods in response so I start searching the fridge.

"We don't have any candy flavored drinks and shit, sorry," I comment as I pull out two bottles of water from the back of the fridge. "What makes you think I like those overpriced drinks" she replied giggling softly at my remark.

I pretend to frown a little scrunching my eyebrows in mock confusion, "Don't all girls love those?" I queried and her laughter gets a little louder.

"No we do not!" she objects at my question and sobers up from her small laughing fit, "I'll have you know I like sodas just like normal people" she says as I chuck a bottle of water in her direction. "Still girly," I mutter simply but loud enough so she can hear me and she huffs in response.

She crossed her arms as she sat on a stool by the counter pouting her lips in a childish manner, looking adorable and for the first time that week.

I smiled.

*

*

*

Word count : 1100

I give you chapter 4!!!

This chapter is shorter than the previous three but it was mainly a filler so don't worry. I hope you like this.

What do you think of Rikayne and Ezra's interactions so far?

Don't forget to vote and comment.

Happy reading
Zaria.