27

Avery's pic

(Past)

"I'm not getting better."

"Don't."

"I should just go home."

"No."

"There's no point. I'm wasting your resources."

I gave Avery the flattest look I could manage. "What did I tell you? I'm not giving up."

He sighed, as if he was frustrated by my persistence but enjoyed the fact that I wasn't budging. I guess he appreciated having somebody around to support him through his ordeal, someone who wasn't going to leave him on a whim like everyone else in his life had.

On the outside, yes I was one of his doctors and it was my job to be here to the bitter end. But I couldn't lie to myself. I cared about him.

"Okay, we've been monitoring your symptoms since you were readmitted and so far, the only issue you seem to have is breathing."

"And I'm weak."

"Yes. All we can do about your muscle weakness is prescribe medication and keep you on a diet rich in potassium, and vitamin B12. The supplemental oxygen is helping, so it's likely you'll need to use portable oxygen when you're discharged."

"Sounds fun."

"Don't be discouraged. The mind is a powerful weapon against cancer. And... well, if you need extra care—you know, therapy or anything of the sort, I'd love for you to simply ask."

He smiled appreciatively, and it was worth everything to see him genuinely happy for even a moment. "I don't think I'm there yet," he joked. "What about you? In need of some 'extra care' lately?"

I moved to take a seat beside his bed. "I know you too well, Avery, to believe that that's not a sexual innuendo."

He shrugged a shoulder with that mischievous smirk, not even denying it. He openly ran his gaze down my body. "You said it first, Doc; I'm only redirecting the question."

Unable to help myself, I laughed freely. "No. No extra care for me."

He sat up a little, readjusting positions. "But are you okay though? Since we've known each other, you've experienced how many deaths now? I can't even fathom the fact that you've been dealing with years' worth of it."

I sighed. "I just... Try to learn from it and show up to do better. I'm fine, Avery, really. It's a wake-up call each time, but it lights a fire under me that keeps me fighting for every patient I have."

"No wonder you're persistent." I could tell his smile was an effort to make me feel better, and it worked.

But there was something in his eyes, this look of sorrow or regret, that stunned me. "You look apologetic. What is it?" I asked.

"What?" He snapped out of it, but I wouldn't let him off the hook.

"My husband's a psychologist, so I've picked up a thing or two about reading people. You look like you're a split second away from apologizing to me."

"I..." His mouth stayed open in uncertainty.

"You have nothing to be sorry for."

"Except I do. You told me I remind you of him, the man you love. Your soulmate. We can stop pretending I'm not on my way to absolute, certain death with no hope for the future."

My face practically sagged at his bluntness. "Well, that's just morbid."

"Casper, I am sorry. I'm not gonna make it—"