17

Anyone else play choices? Lolll the name. I had to ^

(past)

"Hazel, please present."

My intern stepped forward happily. "Avery Weppler, thirty-year-old male. Post-op day two. He had a malignant occipital tumor that was successfully removed..."

I turned my gaze to Avery and we smiled at each other, though his was a bit weaker. But the exciting part was that his vision was back, so his wish to see me again was fulfilled.

"Alright, well we're going to finish our rounds. Hazel, you and I will return to assess Avery. I will assign the rest of you to my other patients and I'll be checking in frequently to make sure you don't kill anyone. Got it?"

"Yes, Dr. Larsen," they chorused respectfully. I heard Avery stifle a laugh before I beamed.

"Alright, let's go."

**

After Avery returned from his scans, we were finally able to talk one on one.

"I missed you when I woke from surgery," was the first thing he told me.

I pouted. "I know. My shift was over so I headed home. I did tell my friend to keep her eye on you."

"Lyanna right?" His eyes lit up.

"Ah, I see you've met her."

"Yes, she's the sweetest. I can see why you two are great friends. She really made me feel like I wasn't alone, like how you make me feel."

I smiled, pulling up a chair next to his bed. He gazed at me, clearly happy to have his sight back. He wasn't taking it for granted this time, as he committed my face to memory. And honestly, I did the same.

I wanted to remember him. Life was too fragile around here for me not to.

"Are we really just looking at each other?" He pointed out with a laugh, picking up his little cup of water to sip.

"Don't take this the wrong way, Avery. You... sometimes sort of remind me of my husband."

His eyebrows hitched up. "Oh? Does he have a little black in him?"

I snorted. "That's not what I meant. But no, he's not mixed with black."

"Hm. I understand your preference for vanilla pudding now."

I gasped. "Hey! I love chocolate cake."

"Oop-" he almost spit out his water, causing me to double over in laughter. "Of course you like cake—I mean, chocolate cake." He set his cup back down.

"I officially can't stand you. Look, while physical attraction is always a definite plus, I'd date a tree if it had the personality I was looking for. I don't really have outward preferences."

"Interesting. So you're saying my personality is similar to your husband's?"

"Pretty much. I'm pansexual, but he's the only person I've ever been with."

"That's incredible. You're clearly soulmates then. I was going to ask if you've been with a woman, but that answered my question."

"Yeah. I mean I would if she was right for me but that title is taken."

"I feel the same. I'm bisexual."

"Oh? Have you ever been in love?"

He looked away. "Maybe once."

I grinned. "Nope, you gotta tell me!"

"Do I?"

"Uh yeah. I helped get your tumor out. You owe me."